SC250...How do they compare to other PRS’s?

dbrian66

I am a newbie to the world of PRS guitars. I want to add one to my collection and I found a SC250 on the local classifieds for what seems to be a reasonable price. But I don’t know much about the guitar. The seller says it’s a 2014. Is this guitar a good place to start my PRS journey?

They were introduced at the same time as the SC245. The SC245 was the vintage-flavored singlecut, the SC250 was the modern-flavored singlecut. The 250 IIRC had the longer sale length of 25 inches, hotter pickups, and an adjustable-intonation bridge so you could put on bigger strings for down-tuning.

Great guitars of course! Can't go wrong with a 250. It would be a great guitar to start with if you like how it plays and feels.

It’s like a Tremonti stoptail with a wide fat neck. Excellent guitars, bridge pickup pretty hot, so excels at higher gain stuff.
This one has the pattern regular neck. Isn’t that the narrow neck? I really like Gibsons slim 60’s neck. Is this one going to be anywhere near that?

This one has the pattern regular neck. Isn’t that the narrow neck? I really like Gibsons slim 60’s neck. Is this one going to be anywhere near that?
Interesting, my memory might(definitely is) be fading. Didn’t realize they offered them with a regular carve. Yes the regular is slightly narrower at the nut. Great feeling neck! I haven’t played many Gibson’s in forever so I couldn’t compare.

Are you sure it's not the wide fat or wide thin?
The guy selling the guitar said it was a pattern regular. And I contacted PRS with the serial number. This was there reply.

Hi Doug,

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars.

Serial# 14 S2005336 is a 2014 Singlecut, with a Maple top, Mahogany back, Mahogany neck with a Standard profile, East Indian Rosewood fretboard with bird inlays, PRS S2 stoptail bridge, PRS S2 #7 treble & bass pickups, finished in Black, nickel hardware.

I hope this information finds you well. We appreciate your continued support of PRS.

Is a standard profile the same as pattern regular?

The guy selling the guitar said it was a pattern regular. And I contacted PRS with the serial number. This was there reply.

Hi Doug,

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars.

Serial# 14 S2005336 is a 2014 Singlecut, with a Maple top, Mahogany back, Mahogany neck with a Standard profile, East Indian Rosewood fretboard with bird inlays, PRS S2 stoptail bridge, PRS S2 #7 treble & bass pickups, finished in Black, nickel hardware.

I hope this information finds you well. We appreciate your continued support of PRS.

Is a standard profile the same as pattern regular?
Ohh it's a S2 singlecut not a SC250. Makes more sense now.

I’m starting to get confused now. Isn’t a SC250 a S2 single cut? It says SC250 right on the truss rod cover.

No. It's single cut and 25" scale but not the same. The truss rod cover is swapped and should say singlecut. Google S2 singlecut vs sc250 for the differences and opinions. Then itll be easier to see when looking at this one.

There were SC250’s in 2000, long before the S2 line was made. Between you and me, I think they may have been using up remaining stock of SC250 truss rod covers. The core SC 250’s were totally Md. made With a full violin carve body. Around 2013, the S2’s were introduced. The bevel cut body is much less costly to do, and the neck has a scarf joint instead of being one piece. The electronics were made overseas to save money. The woodworking and fretwork are Stevensville. I believe that is the highest quality available in a production guitar.
I have three S2’s, all of them very fine guitars. Be sure to check the bay or verb to see what the average price is for that model. That’ll tell you what you should be paying.

That's funny but confusing PRS used the SC250 truss rod covers. I feel like people would light up the internet about that one today.. I can just see the TGP thread

Last edited:
Back