SC245 + HXDA = Rip Snorting Love

László

Too Many Notes
Man, this SC245 just rips plugged straight into the HXDA!

I have no idea if it's the Braz board, it's a little brighter than any other SC I've had, but whatever the reason, it sounds absolutely creamy-delicious overdriving the amp. If ever there was a match made in heaven, it's this one!

It's not as mellow a guitar as the SC with the 53/10s, so it's a different thing.

Hell yes I crank the gain up beyond my usual "edge of breakup" thing, and it is like driving a wagon hooked up to wild horses. Just wow.

Yet it's all easily controllable, not harsh, just sweet overdrive and a lot of tone. Where my A-V likes a bit of extra push with a pedal, this one sounds best without one. Just great stuff. Thanks, PRS!

Last edited:
Hmmm, Les, you're pretty much describing the secret sauce that makes a vintage Les Paul through a vintage Marshall amp such a thing of beauty. A good vintage Les Paul is surprisingly bright and present, without losing the fullness that we all associate with the archetype, which is a quality that the vast majority of modern Les Pauls and other single-cutaway guitars with that recipe seem to be missing.

Can't wait to hear it! :)

Hmmm, Les, you're pretty much describing the secret sauce that makes a vintage Les Paul through a vintage Marshall amp such a thing of beauty. A good vintage Les Paul is surprisingly bright and present, without losing the fullness that we all associate with the archetype, which is a quality that the vast majority of modern Les Pauls and other single-cutaway guitars with that recipe seem to be missing.

Can't wait to hear it! :)

Yeah, I think you're right. That description is pretty much this guitar and amp to a T.

Great vintage tone through a ripping amp that you don't often find any more -- I think you'd like this guitar with this amp, Kingsley. And like the old LPs, roll off the volume, play on the neck pickup, and you're in very nice cleanish, warm, jazzy/bluesy tones, too.

I know I always get excited about a new axe, so there's that, but this is a really classic combination.

For a long time I was anti-LP, always wanted to play the Customs and didn't want to bother with the "G" brand stuff. Then I started listening to a band that pretty exclusively runs LP's through Super Leads, and got the itch to get an LP style guitar, that being the more feasible piece of the puzzle on my budget. To be fair, I tried a few handfuls of guitars, PRS and others, and it took me a while to find the right one (in fact I stumbled on it almost accidentally), but once I found it... WOW. They really have the goods where it counts.

That being said, Les, I have a feeling your rig is the Corvette to my Camaro, that thing is SWEET and I bet it has sounds to boot.

For a long time I was anti-LP, always wanted to play the Customs and didn't want to bother with the "G" brand stuff. Then I started listening to a band that pretty exclusively runs LP's through Super Leads, and got the itch to get an LP style guitar, that being the more feasible piece of the puzzle on my budget. To be fair, I tried a few handfuls of guitars, PRS and others, and it took me a while to find the right one (in fact I stumbled on it almost accidentally), but once I found it... WOW. They really have the goods where it counts.

That being said, Les, I have a feeling your rig is the Corvette to my Camaro, that thing is SWEET and I bet it has sounds to boot.

Maybe but I'll bet your playing is the Jackie Stewart to my Grandma Who Only Drives On Sundays... ;)

Back