SC245 Core with classic tuners... replacements.

Anim8me2

Does anyone know which of the new tuners (Phase II or III) will fit on a SC245 with old classic tuners?
I have one arriving tomorrow and I want to do some clean up and upgrade the tuners.

You're talking Kluson style tuners, right? None of the PRS tuners are a direct, drop in replacement. I seem to remember someone saying phase II will fit the headstock hole(don't know for sure), but you'd have to drill new mounting holes for the screws on the back of the headstock. Gotoh SD-90 tuners are the locking tuners I use that are direct drop in, no mods required. I have them on 2 guitars and like them quite a bit.

Definitely not the III's. I put a set on my Bernie and had to enlarge the post holes, and drill new mounting holes. No biggee, and I would do it again. But, I can sure see the benefits to direct drop.

Yes, I think it's the case that the "vintage" style tuners are mated to a thicker headstock (SC245, McCarty, et al, have that feature) which would make the installation of Phase II or Phase III tuners an impossibility. PRS really should develop a retrofit locking tuner that fits within the constraints of that design; I'd certainly rather buy a PRS OEM product than something made by another company, if I could. I can't say I'm a fan of the Kluson tuners that are used, as they seem cheap and more prone to slippage. Perhaps I'm spoiled, though; I'm a massive fan of the Phase IIIs which give me zero problems.

W.

Back