SC Hollowbody II Question

David Grantham

I have another SC Hollowbody II incoming and was wondering if the current version of these guitars still have the center block construction? What year did PRS add the center block construction to their Hollowbody II guitars? Thanks for any help. Cheers!

IIRC, and frankly I don't trust my memory any better than, um, I forget. What was the question?

Oh, yeah, IIRC, the "center block" was just a slight beefing up of the central area of the bridge/pickup area to reduce feedback, not a complete center block like on a Gibson 335 or other true semi-hollow. And the design hasn't changed since that mod was introduced with the 25th Anniversary HB II back in 2010?

And I think it got introduced at the same time as the SC Hollowbody II. The SC HB I was pre-2008 based on my brief internet searches, and the SC HB Standard was a 2008 offering. The earliest reference to a SC HB II I can find is from the 25th Anniv models in 2010 (or late 2009, perhaps). All results for "2009 singlecut hollowbody II" are really SC HB I models, AFAICT.

Now, that being said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if PRS did minor un-advertised tweaks to their design and that if you x-rayed or deconstructed various SC HB IIs from over the years they might look different in subtle but important ways.

Back