SC 245 Vs. SC58 Vs. SC250 Vs. single cut 1990s

bob lesko

Hello, I am new to this, Just picked up my first sc245 a while back and am now selling 2 GLPs to buy another I think I have become a PRS addict. That said I was wondering if anyone has some knowledge to share about the different single cut models. I should state that I love the two piece bridge, but that is not a deciding factor by itself. I have seen a PRS sc58 and a sc245 both having the same pick ups (57/08) do you think the is a build difference? Also where do the SC 250 and just the "single cut (1990s) stand in the mix.
I know it is a pretty broad question but any information would be great.

Having owned all of these models over the years, the 2-piece bridge sounds different, and a bit more vintage, than the single piece bridge.

The 24.5 inch scale length on the 245 sounds a bit different from the 25" scale length, too.

As will the SC 594 scale length.

If your SC245 has 57/08's in it, they were added after retail sale. Original 245's had 245 pickups in it. These were the same as Mira pups but covered. They were a big improvement from older generation pups (not talking about the 7's, I love 7's), but were overshadowed by the impressive 57/08's when they came out soon after.

Next, there were no 1990 era SC's. They went from 2000 - 2004ish. Then the G lawsuit stopped them from 2005 - 2006. They picked up again in 2006 and went until the SC245 and SC250 split in 2007ish. The models mushroomed into SC58's, the stripped 58, the Modern Eagle SC, the SC trem, the Satin SC's, and I'm probably forgetting more. In general I'd say the biggest difference, at least for me, is the weight. the 1st gen SC's are heavier then the later models. The pups are different, but I like most all the flavors of pups. The more recent ones have binding. I prefer non-binding on PRSi.

If your SC245 has 57/08's in it, they were added after retail sale. Original 245's had 245 pickups in it. These were the same as Mira pups but covered. They were a big improvement from older generation pups (not talking about the 7's, I love 7's), but were overshadowed by the impressive 57/08's when they came out soon after.

I played a SC 245 at a dealer with 57/08s. According to him it was a special run. I have also found some older ones on eBay with 57/08s and with "1957/2008" written on top of the PRS hardcase. Could be that there were several runs with 57/08s in them since the one at the dealer could not have been that old.

I played a SC 245 at a dealer with 57/08s. According to him it was a special run. I have also found some older ones on eBay with 57/08s and with "1957/2008" written on top of the PRS hardcase. Could be that there were several runs with 57/08s in them since the one at the dealer could not have been that old.
You are right about the special orders. I'm just making the point that the SC245 came out before the 57/08's did.

Thanks to all. More to think about for the next purchase Hmmm....The 57/08 do sound great.

You are right about the special orders. I'm just making the point that the SC245 came out before the 57/08's did.
This is true but a few years ago PRS discontinued the SC58 and Stripped 58 and replaced them with a new SC245 model. This SC245 was available until last year and it had the 2 piece bridge. In 2016 the SC245 had 58/15 pickups but I think it had 57/08 pickups when it replaced the Stripped 58. I think this model SC245 was basically the same as the Stripped 58.

Thanks to all. More to think about for the next purchase Hmmm....The 57/08 do sound great.

I think you should look at the SC594! Just killer, in every way. Oh, and welcome to the Forum! Hold on to your wallet! :p

Having owned all of these models over the years, the 2-piece bridge sounds different, and a bit more vintage, than the single piece bridge.

The 24.5 inch scale length on the 245 sounds a bit different from the 25" scale length, too.

As will the SC 594 scale length.

Twice I tried to buy a 2 pieces bridge singlecut. Both bought other guitar.
First one, when SC58 and MC58 were released; that "new" 2 pieces bridge singlecut was the holy grail... but said nothing to me. However, the McCarty58 spoke volumes to me, and today is my main guitar, my #1.
Second one,last summer. I were giving it a second chance, with an improvement ear and more experience. Nothing. And as it happened, an "old" SC245, with the wraparound, sounded perfect to my ears. I dont really know what is what we stect to be vintage or classic sounding, but I found a much better rounded sound with a non-vintage guitar.

By the way... what is more vintage: a 2 pieces brige style guitar a la LP59, or a wraparound one piece bridge a la LP54?

Thanks again I own a sc 245 with the two piece bridge and love it, I am going back and fourth on between a sc 50 artist, or a sc 245 25th anniversary model. both have bound necks which I like (former Gibson player) same pick ups, the build looks the same the only difference is the bridge wrap Vs. two piece and I think the years in front of a kick drum are starting to take affect I can't hear the difference between them, I do like the intonation adjustment option, But what I have seen from PRS is that intonation is not really an issue, I do not drop down often (old school).
But this is great thanks for all the great information.

Old thread...

Tried a 245 and the upper frets could be too crowded for me. I have big handd and even an LP is tght.

How is the neck playability of the early 2000s SC models compared to thr S 250?

Back