SC 245 vs 250, vs 594

TerraRich

Hey all!

Been a while.

Finally decided to get a single cut. I spent this whole Summer buying some, including a 245 and a few Knaggs. Have a 250 on the way.

I was wondering what you all thought about the transition from the 245 and 250 to the 594. Was the neck carve alone enough to complete abandon the older SC models?

I’m finding very good deals on the older ones and actually prefer the simpler ones without neck binding, some with cooler birds.

Just wanted to get a finger on what the community here thought.

Take care,

Rich

I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer the older ones. In fact, the older the better. I own a 2000 and a 2006. The only thing I have against the 594 is the Gibson control layout. I prefer the PRS diamond instead. Since I didn't grow up on a LP, I didn't have to relearn anything and the PRS diamond makes good sense to me. I have since gotten a LP and I find that I can switch between them without any trouble. I still prefer the PRS diamond.

I have an old one: 2005 20th anny AP. Still one of my favourite PRS's! That model, even with the vintage tuners, WF neck and #7 pickups was a very modern feeling and sounding singlecut. When the OG branched to the 250 and 245, the 250 took the modern thing a little bit further, while the 245 went a little more vintage. That said, I would still class both of those as more modern sounding and feeling singlecuts. The 594, to me, is the most vintage feeling and sounding. Alot of that, I am sure is the combination of the scale length, 2-piece bridge and the pickups. It has a really warm and woody sound signature. The old ones, especially the OG and 250, have a more direct and focused attack and I have found this regardless of pickups.

I have an old one: 2005 20th anny AP. Still one of my favourite PRS's! That model, even with the vintage tuners, WF neck and #7 pickups was a very modern feeling and sounding singlecut. When the OG branched to the 250 and 245, the 250 took the modern thing a little bit further, while the 245 went a little more vintage. That said, I would still class both of those as more modern sounding and feeling singlecuts. The 594, to me, is the most vintage feeling and sounding. Alot of that, I am sure is the combination of the scale length, 2-piece bridge and the pickups. It has a really warm and woody sound signature. The old ones, especially the OG and 250, have a more direct and focused attack and I have found this regardless of pickups.
Any thoughts on the SC 58 in that grouping? I'm not a stickler for vintage woody tones. I have an SC 58 on the way. Just sold the 245 I recently got because it had some wear on the back and I wasn't sure if I got on with the neck binding. Trying out the SC58 to see if that neck is more comfortable.

I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer the older ones. In fact, the older the better. I own a 2000 and a 2006. The only thing I have against the 594 is the Gibson control layout. I prefer the PRS diamond instead. Since I didn't grow up on a LP, I didn't have to relearn anything and the PRS diamond makes good sense to me. I have since gotten a LP and I find that I can switch between them without any trouble. I still prefer the PRS diamond.
I agree that the PRS diamond makes more sense.

I have an SC245 with 57/08 and wide fat neck, and a DC594 with the Pattern Vintage neck and the 58/15lt

I prefer the wide fat neck, but mainly because I've been playing it for years and the Pattern Vintage is quite new. I don't see a huge difference between them.

What I think is the biggest difference is the sound. 594 is a lot more vintage sounding than the 245 (even with the 57/08). IMO the 58/15LT are the best pickups PRS has ever made, but if I would play something that needs more output, the SC245 would probably be a better bet.

Different beasts with different character, but both great

Last edited:
I have an SC245, an SC250, and a MCCarty 594.

First, I’d like to say that the 58/15 LT pickups are one of the best pickup sets ever made. Actually, the 58/15 set in my SC245 have always made me happy, too, but the LT absolutely took them to the next level. I’m usually not a fan of PRS pickups, no offense. I always swap them out. But not the 58/15 LT set. They are keepers. Well done, PRS. My next guitar is a McCarty 594 SC in antique white.

The neck carves are not worlds apart. It’s hardly noticeable. I do not like thin necks. The wide fat and the pattern are both beefy.

A good deal is a good deal. The old simple ones are just as good as the new 594. Except if you get an older one, you’ll probably want to swap out the pickups.

I got a chance to A/B original spec'd 245 and a 594 (DC shape, BRW board) months ago.

The result is, the 245 changed my perception towards 594 from 'acceptable' to 'dislike'. The original SC 245 obviously had more power, more note definition, more cut through, more clarity, more heighs, more pick attack, and hence more joy to play with the whole day. The 594 was obviously on the cleaner side - it cleaned better, more headroom, much less punchy, less heighs, less defined lows, less pick attack. In short, 594 has much less power and not designed for medium to high gain application. By the way the 594 has coil tap capability while the 245 didn't.

Being strung with the same string gauge (10-46), the 245 was perceivably 'slacker' on bending hence more relaxing to play. Don't let the number fool you, the 594, despite having a fractal of an inch longer in scale length, but its string tension actually is much greater than SC 245 - I'd say very similar to 25" Stoptail PRS, to be honest.

Construction wise, the 245 felt lighter (this one has weight relieve channels routed in its body) and much easier to play with its optional Wide Thin neck carve. I don't like Custom 24-sized medium/jumbo frets on the 245, but the Gibby-style flatten-crown jumbo ones on 594 aren't my thing either. The jumbo frets on my Modern Eagle 4 are the best for my playing, IMHO.

While many people praise the 594 for many aspects, but tone wise it simply isn't my thing. However I like the construction of the 594 for chunkier wood and TOM-style bridge, seems to be better 'mod platform' for DIY guy me.;)

But if you ask me about which one I'd choose given both in 'stock specs', I'd choose the original 245 any day.

cv5xL13.jpeg

Lots of good comments here, I'll say VHTStark pretty much wrote what I was going to. I love PRS Singlecuts, the 594s were a big hit for PRS, and the prior ones (original Singlecut, SC245, SC250, and SC58) really were not. Even though all those but the SC250 were advertised as "vintage sounding" when they were new, only the 594s really seemed to convince the buying public of that. The prior ones were indeed more focused and had more attack. TerraRich, your sweet spot might be a Stripped 58 if you liked the SC58 except for the binding. Looking back at your prior posts, I'd be very surprised at an SC245 that had binding on the neck.

I played these yesterday. Simply incredible guitars. All three were part of the Willcutt’s wood library order from years ago; one of the very first wood library groups (I believe it was the 1st). I accompanied them to Stevensville, and helped pick out the woods. I immediately snatched both purples and suggested these be made with IRW necks. I called Markie, and he took the flame maple SC, and I kept the quilt. Later, I got the flame from Markie, and decided I actually preferred it to the quilt (which is lovely, too), and sold the quilt. I also ended up buying the glacier flame from the same order. I think there were 6 total made with IRW necks from this run.

Anyway, I’ve never played nicer PRS guitars, PSs included. Blind folded, I’m not sure I could tell them apart. None fret more effortlessly, and sound incredible with my favorite PRS pups, 59/09s. And, there’s something magical about that scale length.

[url=https://imgur.com/BAqGs5Z]
[/URL]

[url=https://imgur.com/0GsVoDX]

[/URL]

Last edited:
I also had this dilemma last year when I was toying between a sc245, sc250, a stripped 58 and a 20th ani. I managed to play the sc245 and a sc594 before the ani and like vhtstark said they do feel quite modern and do pack a punch. It also depends on what you play as I like the fact that the ani/250/594 are around the same scale length as most of their other guitars. Plus the birds on the 20th Ani's really stand out.

I loved everything about my SC250, except the pups. They were just too hot for me. I loved the satin finish, the 25" scale, and the control layout. I'm not happy about the 594 layout, so I'm going to keep hunting for another of the satin run, at a reasonable price.

An old photo:

l1Gaye2.jpg

The stock 594 is the best guitar ever made. It’s recipe is unbeatable.

That said, the ones I’ve performed pickup/electronics swaps on have handled the extra gain every bit as well as any other, perhaps better. I never cared for the 4-knob layout until I bought my first 594, and now it’s my favorite setup. I even put 4 knobs on my telecaster. Nuts!

How does the neck on the 245 compare to a 50s LP??
My 2003 LP Standard with 50s feels more narrow than my SC250, but not sure about my CE22.
Is the 245 just as wide as the SC250 but shorter scale than my Gibson. That could be cool since it would be shorter but wider.

Back