Say you are banished to a desert island and...

Casi1

You have your favorite PRS with you.

Let’s assume you play blues, rock, country, r&b...

You are assured that the island has accessible power outlets (as well as free drinks and ribeye steaks).

You run back into the house for your empty 7 inch by 16 inch pedal board.

You can only fit 5 small pedals on the board...

Which pedals do you grab?

{come on, play along, I’ve got to thin out my pedal closet. I apparently don’t like any of the pedals I started out with. I don’t even know why I have a chorus pedal...}

Dunlop MC404 CAE Wah > Polytune Mini-Tuner > Blue Note Pro Series > Xotic EP Boost > Neunaber Immerse MKII

Oh, you said "small."

Scratch the Dunlop. This is smallish.

PolyTune > Blue Note > EP Boost > Neunaber > TC Electronic Sentry Noise Gate

I'd only grab the Fulltone OCD Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive and a tuner pedal. I'd also grab a reverb if the amp didn't have one. (Edited 6/12/20 after pedal re-evaluation).

Last edited:
Dunlop MC404 CAE Wah > Polytune Mini-Tuner > Blue Note Pro Series > Xotic EP Boost > Neunaber Immerse MKII

Oh, you said "small."

Scratch the Dunlop. This is smallish.

PolyTune > Blue Note > EP Boost > Neunaber > TC Electronic Sentry Noise Gate

I’ve never even heard of the Blue Note. Off to YouTube I go...

I’ve never even heard of the Blue Note. Off to YouTube I go...

It's a J Rockett effect, used for low-moderate gain. As a blues, rock, jazz fan, it can go from mild crunch to singing violin and phat leads without the overt mid-hump. Relatively articulate throughout. Listen to these, and don't forget to subscribe to the guy's channel!

Nocturne Ubangi Stomp
Nocturne El Pescadoro
Nocturne Mystery Brain
Mr Black Deluxe Plus rev/trem
EB volume pedal

What’s the island house amp?

Caitlinbread Talisman - I have a plate reverb fetish
T.C. Electronic SCF - Come on! Chorus *and* Flanger! 80's metal guitar FTW!
JHS Panther Cub delay - need those thick leads, and spacy ambient riffs
Some kind of EQ pedal - high utility

This may not actually match your style criteria, take of it what you will! =)

Nocturne Ubangi Stomp
Nocturne El Pescadoro
Nocturne Mystery Brain
Mr Black Deluxe Plus rev/trem
EB volume pedal

What’s the island house amp?

The island house amp is a big heavy Twin Reverb... so we gonna need some OD pedals.

Caitlinbread Talisman - I have a plate reverb fetish
T.C. Electronic SCF - Come on! Chorus *and* Flanger! 80's metal guitar FTW!
JHS Panther Cub delay - need those thick leads, and spacy ambient riffs
Some kind of EQ pedal - high utility

This may not actually match your style criteria, take of it what you will! =)

Oh I have the Talisman! How do you set yours?

It's a J Rockett effect, used for low-moderate gain. As a blues, rock, jazz fan, it can go from mild crunch to singing violin and phat leads without the overt mid-hump. Relatively articulate throughout. Listen to these, and don't forget to subscribe to the guy's channel!

Nice... it’s very articulate. It reminds me of an old pedal but I can’t think of the name.

So far, on my living room floor, in the ‘take with me pile’ I’ve got a Timmy, a Tubescreamer, a spot for my Purple Moon, and a Secret Preamp. I’ve got one more empty space.

but the Twin Reverb already has reverb and trem, so I don’t need to bring the Mr Black!

That’s true... but what if the Reverb dies on that ancient amp. There’s no amp tech on the island.

Do you play it safe and bring the Mr Black or do you replace it with something else that you might need?

o_O

I’m thinking of using my final empty pedal space for a Reverb pedal (just to be safe).

But I’m caught between Plate and Spring Reverb. I want to buy a new spring reverb pedal.

That’s true... but what if the Reverb dies on that ancient amp. There’s no amp tech on the island.

Do you play it safe and bring the Mr Black or do you replace it with something else that you might need?

o_O

I’m thinking of using my final empty pedal space for a Reverb pedal (just to be safe).

But I’m caught between Plate and Spring Reverb. I want to buy a new spring reverb pedal.

I’ve never had the reverb die on a Fender amp, but I have had the tremolo go, so I’ll bring the Mr Black just in case

I like my tremolo :)

Back