Satin vs Gloss Finishes, What's the Deal?

Mostly, I just like good guitars.
Satin of the moment
CK_108BlueGrassBodyAAA.JPG

Gloss of the moment
CK_073MochaBurlBodyAAA.JPG
My wish list of the moment ;)

I noticed over the last couple of years satin coming into vogue. Especially in Private Stocks which of course represent the best of the best. Now, years ago when there were some satin guitars, it was rare until the famous ME1 run. In fact PRS players at the time poo poo'd this finish and some, maybe many glossed up their ME1's to avoid the dreaded shiney patches that occur when satin is rubbed by play.

In the early days I remember PRS and everyone else in awe of the glass dipped look that PRS seems to have achieved in spades to other brands. For many players this put PRS on the radar. Now many of their most costly PS's are satin nitro. Not that this is a complaint, just wondering about the mindset change. I understand the sound advantages of the thinnest finishes but have others forgone the hatred of shiney spot areas for better tone? Or do folks now prefer the look of satin over poly glass look? Any opinions on this?

All I know is that I have had 2 satin finished 594 wood libraries. But had and have to die for tone. I don't know how or why.

Back