Satin mahogany neck

guitarman001

So I know I love satin maple necks.
Satin rosewood necks are cool but warmer sounding - my preference is for maple.
I've never tried satin mahogany. Does it lie in between the two?

So I know I love satin maple necks.
Satin rosewood necks are cool but warmer sounding - my preference is for maple.
I've never tried satin mahogany. Does it lie in between the two?

You know there's no difference in tone between a satin finish and a shiny finish, right?

I know, but there's a difference between a maple neck and a mahogany neck. I've seen some Wood Library's with mahogany (satin) necks and regardless of the satin aspect, wondered on the tone difference between hog vs maple & rosewood.

I micro mesh all my necks 'cause I hate the stickies! :mad: Tape off across the top and bottom of the neck and a few swipes w/4000 grit and it's as smooth as a baby's butt.

Jim

I know, but there's a difference between a maple neck and a mahogany neck. I've seen some Wood Library's with mahogany (satin) necks and regardless of the satin aspect, wondered on the tone difference between hog vs maple & rosewood.

Oh, that I can answer.

Yes, there's a pretty substantial tone difference between 'hog, maple and rosewood.

I've said for years that maple has a bit more of the attack portion of the note, and Paul confirms it in a video recently put on the PRS site about the new CE24.

So you'll hear a little more "snap" with maple; again, it's mainly at the attack of the note, but it gives the impression of brightness.

Rosewood gives you more of a lower midrange bump, though the high end sparkle is still there. The impression, however, is a slightly darker tone with a bit more power, simply because that's what a lower midrange emphasis gives you sonically.

Exactly what I've experienced. How about mahogany? :)

I was using mahogany as the baseline for comparison. So compared to maple, a little less snap at the attack, plenty of sparkle, and (I think) a bit more of a sense of resonance and sustain.

Back