Satin finish chipping and flaking -- is this normal?

alpsacka

Hello all, I recently bought a new S2 Single Cut Satin, which I love playing, but the finish seems to be incredibly fragile. I've had the guitar for just a few weeks now, and already a large section of the finish on the neck has bubbled and flaked off. I contacted customer support and they want me to send it in for repair, which is fine, but I'm more worried about the rest of the guitar. I've noticed that I've caught the neck a couple times with a fingernail while playing, and that has created tiny chips as well, so I'm expecting that this finish is going to wear very quickly overall. I know a thin nitro finish is going to be a lot less resilient than poly, and I don't mind wear, but this seems extreme. Is this typical of PRS's satin finishes or is there some kind of adhesion issue with my particular guitar?

OhuoT-XRMlOkFbb1_O6muH8atAAGlrbf0hfMJFyiG_Qx8yPcbH-WFcVFMRH5OEGykyJFBMgP4gQILhx-wkBN9Gqsp2J3H0XYWUfrdkki8YGVE9Qcq9cBAnjza6hep9vprjAkhic55YYkC0aGbdBzqsyU1Ul-4mRGQfgFOQo7uo5OG_eKlPUdve4gfFnG--EpQgNmS8yGrOF80yMIe4hnhi-hBJmRhX1phr0qcpU5nBo7LrxndEdJhOXS4kbjJOQL2VtaWqHIJa4u3kZA2u4tG94R5-g_qUa9CDej0jwVyFhAIi0yBrPBORteopUBm_w-5BTZsBhwgkMXqhXjDx5QfSfs_VkC0iit3nssno9itQeXH4HRhzQL-1HgUUhn7asPTnRtqAAapvWLrbodp_TFUGsJcP5FJgvGE3OF-8pniX3s32WafupdhqlyLJrys7vlaB2eusB7ySI-ypYcoM0IhxDM2E6B82-m5NcCsIHnGClKkCUWA9-RqCy9VSWbf4CTrRmlqZDIzsViIUueKeMrCiaZcGp5gCKbSpcIolXK56O5OCIoV5H7V1bXPjfwTEvfNKJzDUHTu-J76lJPLX_vkQLTLAE5j2kY6Zg1E065hgNxiFpUYfqAWcIbYOAggXtsH3gZLKiMD6YLXfBrJFOfa9bCNk44LNzToIHcr6IfUkHG1rtpXxA7t5e05HgKh3BX-qRmQGWcFU02QjQ=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft

It happens every once in a while on the side of the rosewood. From what I understand, once it's fixed it's fine.

Sounds like an adhesion issue which could happen due a number of different reasons. Did they happen to say what the turnaround time is?

If you bought it new and it's still within the allowable return window I'd just exchange it :)

Sounds like an adhesion issue which could happen due a number of different reasons. Did they happen to say what the turnaround time is?

If you bought it new and it's still within the allowable return window I'd just exchange it :)

I wish I would have, but I got it locally about three weeks ago, so I doubt that would work. No, they didn't mention a turnaround time. I'll ask customer service about a possible adhesion issue.

Last edited:
I wonder if the prior owner may have use any substances that may have affected the finish. You should be able to take a PRS decades without this type of issue. You may wear it down to the wood though by enough play. Good luck in finding your solution.

I wonder if the prior owner may have use any substances that may have affected the finish. You should be able to take a PRS decades without this type of issue. You may wear it down to the wood though by enough play. Good luck in finding your solution.

This is a brand new guitar.

PRS customer service said they would examine the entire finish for defects, so I'm feeling better about this now.

Back