SAS turned into a... Tele?

Casi1

So I was cleaning up my place for the new year and stumbled upon a box marked 'Hendrix'...

Found me some unopened strings in an unlikely gauge: 10-38

Hmmm. I've never had any desire to play strings that light on low end. Visions of all kinds of flabbiness and sheer bogusness ran through my head.

But my SAS NF had some old EB Cobalts on it and my frets were looking questionable (possibly due to those strings) so I figured why not. Slap those Hendrix strings on the SAS and prepare for the flabby chords.

Imagine my surprise when my SAS produced a honkiness/rattling sound similar to my old Fender tele (note: SAS was in the position between the bridge and middle NF). WTH. The sound wasnt flabby at all but the tension on the bass side will take some getting used to. Other than that, I was really surprised. Could the string gauge have made THAT much difference? Has anyone else played these 10-38 sets?

I was going to try them. I’ve never liked the tension of 10s on a strat but thought I’d give them a try because, well, you know, Jimi. But he played them on a backwards headstock (for us righties) strat. Interesting that you found some Tele ish tones with it though, because maybe it would make a DC3, or NF3 even, more strat like.

I was going to try them. I’ve never liked the tension of 10s on a strat but thought I’d give them a try because, well, you know, Jimi. But he played them on a backwards headstock (for us righties) strat. Interesting that you found some Tele ish tones with it though, because maybe it would make a DC3, or NF3 even, more strat like.

Yeah its weird. I put another set on my S2 Custom 24 and it sounds good but not Tele-ish like the SAS NF. I guess I figured any guitar would sound wimpy with that gauge but thats not true. Its a 'feel' thing that might be a turn off to some folks (because the low E feels a lot looser) but the tone and note clarity actually sounds really good to me.

I just wanted to comment that it’s awesome that you have a box marked ‘Hendrix’. :)

Yeah, but I've got ZERO of his talent. There wasnt much else in the box other than a Band of Gypsies shirt, a fuzz face, some old 70s stuff (that I used for Halloween a few years ago), and some notes about conspiracy theories on his death (one day, I'm gonna solve all the unsolved mysteries of the world, lol).

Back