SAS Transparent Finish

Malloc

Curiosity: are the SAS transparent finishes done as stain with a clear coat or a tint added to clear finish (or some other technique my admittedly anemic knowledge of finishing doesn’t immediately conjure up) ?

Say someone wanted to commit sacrilege by refinishing a transparent finished guitar like this. Would it strip down easily enough to change colors completely?

Ya I knew that’s the case with fancy gradients like bursts and dragons, but wasn’t sure about single color transparent.

Ash isn't typically stained (Private Stock being a big exception, and there are others). The SAS uses a tinted color coat. When you browse used ones on Reverb and such, you'll inevitably find the dinged ones and the paint chips always leave a peek of naked ash.

Dang it, now you've reignited my SAS GAS!

Was thinking the same as Garrett, as Ash doesn’t take stain in the same way that Maple does.

Here's one on Reverb you got me drooling over. You can see all the color is in the finish itself.

oqaps5glkxgkbnqjjjpt.jpg

Ash isn't typically stained (Private Stock being a big exception, and there are others). The SAS uses a tinted color coat. When you browse used ones on Reverb and such, you'll inevitably find the dinged ones and the paint chips always leave a peek of naked ash.

Dang it, now you've reignited my SAS GAS!
Now that you mention this, I do have a small finish chip on the back of mine and the color of the wood is what you see in that spot. I forgot about that chip.

Often a dark stain is applied first then sounded down to emphasis the grain, then the translucent colour is sprayed over that before the clear coat. Typically though, the stain won't effect the refinish, it is still only on the surface and will be removed when the guitar is sanded during preparation.

Back