Sanzera 50 Combo noisy

Billy Sullivan

I just bought a brand new PRS Sanzera 50 combo. I noticed right out of the gate that the clean channel is very noisy, I “hum” loud enough to be picked up over the PA when miked. This is happening even when my signal chain is not plugged in. The effects loop is pretty noisy as well. Any suggestions of how to tackle this problem before I end up selling the amp? Thanks!

It could simply be a bad preamp tube(s). I would check with the place where you bought it about warranty.

Could be a loose tube. Shipping is a b!tch. Could also be RFI noise from electronics around your place. Does it go away, or lessen if you change positions? Turn 90 degrees to the right, does it get any better? I was at a buddy's house a few weeks ago checking out his new Two Rock. It had a little hum, depending on how we were standing. Turn a little, and it goes away, mostly. Happens with his other amps in that room, too. He had an electrician out for the better part of a day working on the issue. Finally determined that it was interference caused by the radio signal from the automated water meter that the water company installed to collect his meter reads.

Finally determined that it was interference caused by the radio signal from the automated water meter that the water company installed to collect his meter reads.

I have one of those things, and found the same issue! There’s no choice, though; it’s mandatory in my area.

I have one of those things, and found the same issue! There’s no choice, though; it’s mandatory in my area.

Here too. Just got a notice in the mail that the gas company is installing the same type of things on our natural gas meters sometime in the next 30 days. More stuff in the air.

You could, in theory, surround it with copper screen tied to ground.

In theory.

That would probably defeat the ability of the darn thing to communicate with the utility, wouldn’t it?

I suggested a tin foil hat. I think Les could rock that look. But yeah, your idea is another way he could go.

Oh, I always rock a tin foil hat. It’s a vanity thing, not an alien control thing. Covers my bald spot. Goes well with my cowboy boots.*

The problem is that the hat doesn’t do much for the guitar when I’m wearing it.

* “Do you ride horses, Les?”

“No, but I did when I was a teenager.”

“How long as it been since you were a teenager?”

“In human years or dog years? Because if it’s dog years, it’s been several centuries.”

“OK. So how does a tin foil hat go with cowboy boots?”

“Never underestimate the power of a tin foil cowboy hat. It’s gotten me laid a bunch of times; so have the boots.”

“Really?”

“No.” :oops:

“Why don’t you just wear a felt cowboy hat, then?”

“They make those??”

That would probably defeat the ability of the darn thing to communicate with the utility, wouldn’t it?

The amp, not the thingy. Way, way back in my "I Are A Technician" days in the late 80s/early 90s working on copiers, we had similar issues with one model. RFI would cause the optics board to freak out and slam things around. Cutting some card stock into a little box, wrapping in foil, and grounding, problem solved.

The amp, not the thingy. Way, way back in my "I Are A Technician" days in the late 80s/early 90s working on copiers, we had similar issues with one model. RFI would cause the optics board to freak out and slam things around. Cutting some card stock into a little box, wrapping in foil, and grounding, problem solved.

Ah, technician mysteries solved!

Incidentally, my high school was called Cass Tech, and we were The Technicians. So I was once a Technician.

Not that I knew much about Techonolgy. :(

But we had a damn good football team!

In our high school, we actually had majors, called “Technical Curricula.” Mine was Science and Arts. I kind of ignored the Science part. ;)

Back