Santana Splits/Taps

bodia

Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved
Just curious, anyone out there rewire their Santana with taps/splits? If you did, what did you use, pick up wise? Originals, something totally different. How do you like the results? You know, spill the beans!

Hey
I have a guy who can wire your current pickup to be 4 wire and add the splits :)

Hey
I have a guy who can wire your current pickup to be 4 wire and add the splits :)

And I have an extra rotary I could give you. ;)

Sweet! Thanks fellas! Mike, I may take you up on that. Sergio, may have to pass on the rotary. Not a huge fan. I was thinking push/push due to the positioning of the knobs. Although, I was also seriously thinking about the Tosca layout. Anyone know how \m/ pickups sound when split?

Looks like you have your solution. Push-push is a good way to go.

I didn't rewire, but I have a Santana with 53/10s. Probably not the best choice for a Santana sound. I'd have to check if my 59/09s are split - nice pickups in this guitar, but I always play the full coil. 408s are boss in a Santana, but you might need two push-pushes to do it right - I have mini toggles.

Edit: this might compromise an ad for Santana Fest.

Push-push are the bee's knees! Personally, I think they're a waste on a Santana which needs to be played loud-n-proud full-bore, not some watered-down, mambie-pambie "it's ok for guys to cry" kinda pickup config. But I'm sure it'll look good on you. :p :D

Last edited:
Looks like you have your solution. Push-push is a good way to go.

I didn't rewire, but I have a Santana with 53/10s. Probably not the best choice for a Santana sound. I'd have to check if my 59/09s are split - nice pickups in this guitar, but I always play the full coil. 408s are boss in a Santana, but you might need two push-pushes to do it right - I have mini toggles.

Edit: this might compromise an ad for Santana Fest.

I don't want to do anything to jeopardize Santana Fest!

Push-push are the bee's knees! Personally, I think they're a waste on a Santana which needs to be played loud-n-proud full-bore, not some watered-down, mambie-pampie "it's ok for guys to cry" kinda pickup config. But I'm sure it'll look good on you. :p :D

Boogs, thanks for slapping me back to reality! Someone asked how I like the position of the knobs. I replied, they're perfect! Out of the way if you like 'em on 10! I've got a set of \m/ pickups inbound to drop into one of the Santanas.

Now, excuse me while I go shove the last of my cocktail sauce up my nose, and rub a little in my eyes. Real men need to man up!

Boogs, thanks for slapping me back to reality! Someone asked how I like the position of the knobs. I replied, they're perfect! Out of the way if you like 'em on 10! I've got a set of \m/ pickups inbound to drop into one of the Santanas.

Now, excuse me while I go shove the last of my cocktail sauce up my nose, and rub a little in my eyes. Real men need to man up!
Just ribbin' ya, buddy. :D (Btw, I thought someone opened your new bottle of cocktail, but I was wrong! Mrs. B keeps reminding me to box it up, so it should go out by this weekend) A Santana is a big chunk of wood, so putting a hot pickup in may produce some really interesting results. Anxious to hear the results!

Last edited:
Just ribbin' ya, buddy. :D (Btw, I thought someone opened your new bottle of cocktail, but it was wrong! Mrs. B keeps reminding me to box it up, so it should go out by this weekend) A Santana is a big chunk of wood, so putting a hot pickup in may produce some really interesting results. Anxious to hear the results!

Yea, buddy! You da man! I've got some shrimp waiting!

I'll be sure to post how the \m/'s do!

I agree with the "who needs splits on a Santana...."

Unless you only have one gtr then in that case yes

What?!?! Of course splits on a Santana are a good idea! Don't listen to Brian C. and Boogie, what do they know about Santana's?

Which leads me to ask them:

:p

I have a Santana with 53/10s. Probably not the best choice for a Santana sound.

I've tried really hard to like the 53/10 in the White Westie... but it's going. I think you'd need a pretty bright guitar to make those pickups work.

Back