Santana SE Neck Progile

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by HighLonesomeF5, Sep 16, 2019.

1. HighLonesomeF5

HighLonesomeF5 New Member

I am interested in a Santana SE but cant find one locally. How would you describe the neck shape, C, D, V? I do have the dimensions, but neck shape is very important.

How would you describe the neck on a Santana Retro neck?

Thanks

2. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I would say it's a D, or maybe a U. I don't think the shoulders are deep enough for a U, though. I have had several Santanas, and loved every one of them. Still have two, a West St Ltd, and a DC-22 (Santana body with a stop tail). The necks are beefy, but not '58 LP beefy. Some good info here. All of the SE Santana models will have the SE Wide/Fat neck. Not bad, but not as comfy as the Core Santana neck carve....IMO

https://www.ultimatesantana.com/gear-tone/paul-reed-smith-guitars/prs-santana-guitar-specs-chart/

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  3. yannis papamichalopoulos

i owned a se santana but i sold it(and regret it) the neck its the wide fat(D maybe)it is indeed a bit wider than other guitars(sg,strat e.t.c),but its one of the best necks i've ever played.

bodia likes this.
  4. HighLonesomeF5

Thanks for the info. Ordered a SE, should be in next month.

5. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Awesome!

6. HighLonesomeF5

My plan was to A/B the SE to a Clapton Strat from GC since I would have 45 days to return. The ship date on the SE was delayed until November after I would have to return the Strat.

7. Axis39

Axis39 New Member

My '17 SE Santana is very close to the Gibson 2015 50's neck on my Less+ P-90 God Top. It is a nice handfull, but not too big. It isn't as big as the AllParts TMO-FAT neck on my tele (which I love, but is too much for some folks).

I am not sure I would consider it a D, it isn't really flat across the back. It is nicely rounded, so I would consider it a full C. Bigger than a modern C. It's definitely wider than typical Fender necks... Which I greatly appreciate.

To put full disclosure on the table, I have rather long fingers. I typically wear XL gloves, and sometimes they are too small. I love big, fat necks... Thinner necks will tend to give me forearm cramps during a long gig. I have several thinner (to me) necked guitars that I've gotten along with well, a Gretsch Electromatic (which has a typical Pacific RIm - medium sized, d-shape neck) and a Gibson Special (which has the 60's style neck...a bit thin for me, and the Santana is supposed to replace). But, my favorite guitars to play are thicker, fuller C's and soft V's.

8. AZGiant

AZGiant New Member

If this makes any sense, it is almost like a flatter D. A little wide, but I like the way it feels and the pups are definitely amazing