Santana pickups for David Grissom model?

surfinboy

About a year ago I bought a PRS David Grissom model and I'm thinking about swapping out the pickups for the Santana model pickups. For rock, blues, funk, etc. the DGT is great, but in jazz situations where I'm playing big loud Wes Montgomery-style chords, I've been slightly less than impressed with the rhythm pickup - there's a bottom or heaviness that it seems to lack - I want to say "bass," but it's a fullness or "warm bottom" quality that I feel like it's missing. Some people even think I'm playing a single-coil (even when it's not tapped). I played a Santana (US-made model) that sounded unreal. Can someone recommend a pickup that would get the job done? I looked online for "PRS Santana pickups" and couldn't come up with much, and I don't even know if they sell Santana pickups.

I suggest trying a 53-10 for what you just described. In full humbucker mode it is incredibly full. And when split? Killer s-type tone.

Hans said:
I suggest trying a 53-10 for what you just described. In full humbucker mode it is incredibly full. And when split? Killer s-type tone.

Hmmmm, 53/10's sound yummy.

So can you actually buy 53-10 pickups separately? It didn't look they were available on the PRS site.

They are there. They're also called RPs. I've been waffling between 57/08 and 53/10 on my Quatro. Both may suit you well. They are very thick but retain a clarity and sparkle that are perfect for for jazzy blues stuff.

I just stumbled upon this old post. Just in case someone takes the prior post as gospel, it is 100% inaccurate. 53/10s ARE NOT also called RPs. Those are the "Ralph Perucci" pickups that went in the original Modern Eagles.

Back