Santana Knob Positions

horax

I live in an area that never gets Santanas.

I'd love to get one, but my question is for those who have played them and have eperience:
How do the positoins of hte knobs affect how you play? It seems like they're too close to be able to move one without moving the other.

Thoughts?

r__wildcat.jpg

images

They're okay back there. Out of the way/unobtrusive like @bodia says.

Sometimes yes I do have to stop and think, "Okay, reach all the way back there to switch pickups;" however I also do that on my McCarty (pickup switch behind the bridge) versus some of my others that have the pickup switch closer to the strings. I agree with @sergiodeblanc here--I deal just fine with it and it does remind me of an SG, ES-335, etc.

They're okay back there. Out of the way/unobtrusive like @bodia says.

Sometimes yes I do have to stop and think, "Okay, reach all the way back there to switch pickups;" however I also do that on my McCarty (pickup switch behind the bridge) versus some of my others that have the pickup switch closer to the strings. I agree with @sergiodeblanc here--I deal just fine with it and it does remind me of an SG, ES-335, etc.
You can cure yourself of that by only playing Santana’s.

Never been an issue for me. I just adjust to the guitar as they are all different. Though I do have to say on the Santana, being able to change pups and have the controls right there too is nice.

The tone and volume seem very close....good or bad in your opinion?

Personal preference I think. Really depends on how you play and how much live tweaking you do of the knobs as you play.

I've had a couple SE Santanas and it was not any problem. I really need to see what all the Hubub about the Core Santana is all about (I kid, I'm in love with it and don't even have one...yet)

I sourced a fair amount of Private Stock Guitars over the years & had the volume knob moved back towards the butt end of the guitar on all non Santana style guitars. I did this to get them out of the way of my occasionally flying little finger. This became known as “The Markie mod” Hehe! I like the Santana positioning

I have a DC22 with the same layout. I thought I wouldn't like it, but it is OK. I would rather the layout was like a McCarty, but the Santana layout doesn't bug me at all.

It's posts like these that make me thankful for where I live.. CME, 2 GC platinum rooms, and Music Gallery near by and then there's always Daves not too far. Heck even SW is a turn and burn in a day.

Back