Santana III transformation: from Playa to Slaya

Tahlee

Tollywood Rhode Island
DB32-AE9-A-DD8-E-4885-BAC4-7-C0669-C50-E11.jpg

Hello everyone! I started a mod thread instead of continuing with my NGD.

Well, I just had a new guitar day for my 2002 Santana III - 10 top. I absolutely love the guitar, but the tremolo was heavily pitted so I ordered a new one. The new tremolo won’t match the original chrome pickups. Oh dear...I immediately knew what that meant. I had just tumbled down the slippery slope of guitar modification.

E509839-B-280-C-4881-A58-E-4-CC721-EB951-C.jpg

I ordered the Mann Made raw brass tremolo, which is why I thought the chrome pickups wouldn’t look very good next to it. The tremolo arrives tomorrow.

C5-BC718-F-74-E2-432-B-81-BA-98-F94857948-B.jpg

So, I started thinking about pickups. I absolutely love the Santana pickups so I am going to put them into my Tremonti. It currently has Seymour Duncan Alpha and Omegas and I find the neck pickup to be a little muddy.

From Seymour Duncan’s website:

The sound of the Amos Flying V is uniquely robust compared to other PAF loaded guitars. Careful examination of the original pickups revealed something unique – unusually strong magnetism, which could only be replicated by using Alnico 6 magnets. Although Alnico 6 might seem like an odd choice for a PAF replica, the result is surprisingly warm, clear and powerful – and matches the tone of the originals. But despite their abnormally strong magnetism, these humbuckers retain all their warmth and clarity.

Each set is built using period-correct butyrate bobbins, maple spacers, and wound on the same historic Leesona winding machine originally used by Gibson in the fifties and sixties, and will be hand-signed by Seymour W. Duncan and Joe Bonamassa.

DB32-AE9-A-DD8-E-4885-BAC4-7-C0669-C50-E11.jpg

Hello everyone! I started a mod thread instead of continuing with my NGD.

Well, I just had a new guitar day for my 2002 Santana III - 10 top. I absolutely love the guitar, but the tremolo was heavily pitted so I ordered a new one. The new tremolo won’t match the original chrome pickups. Oh dear...I immediately knew what that meant. I had just tumbled down the slippery slope of guitar modification.

E509839-B-280-C-4881-A58-E-4-CC721-EB951-C.jpg

Your Santana is great, but that SC is way cool.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I love the Singlecut. That one’s a Tremonti. I have a Singlecut trem arriving at any moment. I’m watching UPS on a live map and it’s in my area now.

I assume the brass will turn darker with patina. I wouldn't worry about the color match with pup covers...

Back