Santana 1 question

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by mateias, May 30, 2019.

1. mateias

mateias New Member

Hi all,

Ah - should've titled this "questions" as there are more than one!

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for my queries.

I've been after a Santana I for some time now, but I'm particular about the figured top etc, so I'm taking my time :)

I have a Retro, which I really like. I was just curious about the micro switches - can anyone who has a 1 model comment as to how easy/hard they are to use live?

Also - in my research, I read that the first 100 models of these were signed by Carlos himself.

I've seen a few for sale that claim to be within the first 100, however I've not seen any signature - save for the control cavity cover, which I assumed was printed/lasered (due to consistency between models) - is that the signature that is being referred to?

thanks!

Andrew Paul likes this.
  2. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul New Member

I have a Santana 1. Great Guitars, microswitches don’t bother me but I haven’t played out in front of a live audience but used it on jam sessions are other musicians and I don’t have a problem negotiating them. I do like the position of the two switches were I can mute the guitar in between songs. I play a lot of solos in the neck pick up so it’s one flick of the microswitch down closest to the base of the guitar to mute. I plan on using it for some recordings which I think the mute will come in handy right after finishing a solo.

I will say though to Santana II, III, and Retro three-way toggle is the easiest.

bodia and mateias like this.
  3. mateias

mateias New Member

Thanks for the info. Are they configured one switch per pickup, i.e. on/off - or is one switch the selector and the other the kill switch? I've not had a guitar for a while that has microswitches.

Andrew Paul likes this.
  4. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul New Member

2 MINI SWITCH POSITIONS

• Both Switches Down: Treble Pickup
    • Both Switches Up: Bass Pickup
    • Forward Down, Back Up: Both Pickups
    • Forward Up, Back Down: Standby

grausch, bodia and mateias like this.
  5. mateias

mateias New Member

Thanks - I thought as much, but wasn't sure. Interesting way of doing things :)

Thanks for the info, looking forward to getting one in the next few weeks!

Andrew Paul likes this.
  6. markie

markie 11Top's personal Chauffeur

I found that I had to play these guitars are on fairly regular basis to remember what the switches did :)

mateias, Andrew Paul and bodia like this.
  7. Joern Venaas

Joern Venaas New Member

And not forget the hidden feature inside the control cavity, the treble roll-off adjustment (screwdriver). I love everything about this guitar. Chunky neck, big big frets etc.