Saddle play - is this normal?

Michael_DK

Hi guys

Changed strings today for the first time since getting it - I noticed there is some play in the saddles, where the PRS support site states the following:
2. The pocket in the tremolo bridge keeps the six individually adjustable saddles from moving sideways, thereby eliminating another traditional cause of tuning instability.
(source: https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html)

Here are a couple of close-ups of my saddles - is this normal?

A small amount of play is normal, but the Gen. III bridge even solves that problem further. However, it's seen very limited production, and is currently Private Stock optional.

I don't remember my Brent Mason having this much play (can't be bothered to take off the strings to check right now). i.e. as in the second pic. But I'm probably wrong.

I haven't experienced any problems, just curious.

Sadly, the gold plating is all but gone from the top four saddles after a couple of months. Never knew my sweat was so acidic.

That's normal. There's no tension. If the saddle rocks you may need to slightly tweak one of the height adjustment screws. One or the other may have moved slightly when you removed the strings.

That's normal. There's no tension. If the saddle rocks you may need to slightly tweak one of the height adjustment screws. One or the other may have moved slightly when you removed the strings.

no no, no rocking. And I shifted them around with my finger for the photos - first one flush to the inside wall of the trem bridge, second one pulled as far away as possible.

Back