Saddle movement question on PRS SE Santana

blubarb

Hi all
If you look at the bottom E saddle you can see that it is almost fully extended back. It's very tight. Any ideas as to why this is so and can I remedy it in any way. Right now the intonation at the Bottom E at the 12th fret is slightly sharp and as you can see there is not much room to move the saddle back.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It shouldn't need to be so far back to intonate.

First thing I'd do is measure the actual string length. I've noticed the low E on my 25" scale guitars is usually right at 25 1/8" from the inside of the nut to where the string breaks over the saddle. I'd start there with a new string and see how that goes.

More grave digging of threads... My SE Santana has the low e saddle in a similar position to get the intonation correct. I have put new strings on (thoroughly stretched them and lubed the nut) and made some minor adjustments to the saddles to get the harmonic and fretted note the same pitch, all but the low e. I was concerned about needing the pull the saddle that far back so I went to my local guitar store and was told that the adjustment range was there for a reason, and as long as I haven't run out there is nothing to be concerned about. Found this thread and a recommendation to reduce the amount of relief. When I check the relief there is not much at all (and the action is low to the point of buzzing if I am careless). So is this nothing to worry about?

Back