Sad NGD

justjoshin

so I wanted to try a S2 singlecut but there were none to be found around me to try. I even drove 4 hours looking around New Orleans with no luck. So I tried out a few Les Paul traditionals that I really liked but did not like the cherry burst finishes. So I ordered a honey burst. It came in and is absolutely beautiful but does not sound like the others I tried out. My SE ZM has a superior sound to me. Very disappointed and will probably return it and wait until the S2’s become available in all colors again for ordering. I know this is a PRS forum, but I got this LP for $600 off retail. Great deal that did not end up very great! Anyone else have a similar experience?

Bummer. If you're not in a rush, PRS should be announcing the 2019 updates in another month or two.

I'd think there would be plenty of the S2 available online now, though.

Bummer. If you're not in a rush, PRS should be announcing the 2019 updates in another month or two.

I'd think there would be plenty of the S2 available online now, though.

There are not many to be found online. Sweetwater and Sam Ash have zero in stock; guitar center & Musicians Friend only have whale blue, scarlet, and cherry burst. Out of 3 Guitar Centers and 4 locations of another chain here around the state not a single one of these in stock either.

There are not many to be found online. Sweetwater and Sam Ash have zero in stock; guitar center & Musicians Friend only have whale blue, scarlet, and cherry burst. Out of 3 Guitar Centers and 4 locations of another chain here around the state not a single one of these in stock either.
What color are you looking for?

my top 3 picks would be the colors not found right now....go figure. The Elephant Grey, Moss Green, and the Amber Burst.

Unfortunately, inconsistency has been the name of the game for the more affordable G guitars I’ve played, too. I spent an afternoon strumming a bunch of them at the GC local to my wife’s hometown last year, they had a fantastic Gibson selection, but even so it wasn’t a great experience. Many were just dead acoustically. Then I picked up a rather plain looking natural finish LP, and the thing just rang like a bell - seriously, this thing was magic. Fat, deep lows, and went on for days, not the plinky toy-sounding thing the others had. But, as I played up the neck, it was horrendously out of tune. Best case scenario it needed a serious saddle adjustment, but I think it would’ve always been one of those guitars where certain intervals high up the neck would always be out of tune. One credit I will give the G, I’ve heard very good things about their Custom Shop guitars. But, $.

Wait for the S2, it’ll be worth it.

It's ALWAYS preferable to play before you buy. However, the thing I've learned is:

• PRS - You can order online without too much worry; especially USA models. The product consistency mean the probability of getting a guitar you're REALLY happy with is very, very high.
  • Fender - If you order online you're probably getting a good guitar; especially the American Elite series. Also, the prices for Fenders are (relatively) very reasonable. I don't feel too exposed buying a Strat ot Tele online.
  • Gibson - I won't order a Gibson online. Honestly, you just don't know what you're going to get. It might be extraordinary and it might be awful. You're probably safe ordering a Gibson Custom Shop, but anything else from Gibson I'd have to play and inspect myself before purchasing. Gibson simply has too much product variation for me to feel confident to buy without seeing and playing first; especially at Gibson prices.

Shame that LP you received had indifferent tone. Especially after you made the initial effort to try guitars out in person.

I have bought online and been luckier than I should. I even bought a LP which turned out to be superior to same model I tried in store. But... I knew I was taking a risk and had my 'return' strategy all worked out in advance.
I have had to return guitars, notably a Flaxwood to Thomann Germany. Thomann honoured the return decision (though it stopped all e-mail & mail from them).

When at all possible I try everything out in person.

Good luck on your quest and keep us posted.

Every Gibson I’ve owned was a nice guitar, and back when I was into them, there were a bunch of them. The only complete dog I had was an 80’s LP Standard, and even that wasn’t as bad as some other guitars I’ve owned.

They weren’t as perfect as most PRS guitars generally are but, I didn’t have the same experience as most of the Internet says they do.

Plus, they’re advertised as “good enough” not “great”. So I think I’d have more an issue with a substandard box of Frosted Flakes than a Gibson with some overspray or pink binding.

never played a custom shop, but sure used to love the fatbody es models and les paul customs with ebony fretboards.

pinked binding brings back bad memories.

I agree with all comments about trying them first but as noted I was unable to find one in the honey burst. All the ones I played in store were great so I took a chance on it. Problem with the S2 was there were none to even test out at all. I have actually done some more adjustments to this one and it isn’t as bad as I first thought. I have the 45 day return period so who knows???? I may go bring it for a good setup and only be out $50 if it still isn’t great. If it gets to where I’m happy I will keep it and wait on a day to test out the S2 or just wait for a McCARTY later. Really want this one to be great cause it is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the replies everyone!

I bought a Les Paul once. I played one at a store and was really impressed with the tone, but I kid you not, the fretboard and neck were not aligned correctly. The first few frets, the fretboard hung off the treble side, and on the bass side there was a shelf if you will. Only maybe 1mm or so, but still, this was a $2000 guitar. Sounded amazing though. So I bought the exact same thing online and it just didn't sound good. I tried some different pickups, and nothing worked. I did a recording and shared it with my friends, a blind test, where I played the same riff with the Les Paul and my $300 2003 SE Santana with stock pickups, they all thought the Santana was the Les Paul because it sounded so much better.

I played a new LP for the heck of it the other day and it was immaculately built. I don't keep up with all their versions, but it was a nicer one but not Custom Shop. They had a few of the modern ones with the rip off dragon's breath type finishes. Build quality looked super on those as well.

But still, a McCarty is always a great answer.

Back