s2 worth changing pickups?

Chiliphil1

Hey guys, I just got myself an s2 cu24, pics are on another post. I am not really excited with the pickups in this guitar, obviously they are the s2 hfs and vb, I hear that these are korean made pups that are spec'd to USA models. I am wondering if it's worth upgrading them to actual USA hfs and vb pickups, or maybe 59/09.. I play hard rock and just need some more a** from my pickups. I would do the \m/ but I want uncovered pickups and the \m/ is covered, though looking at the back it seems like you can take the covers off, is this true? I will also say I have debated some seymour duncan's but I feel like running non PRS pickups would be a step back, so I want to stay in house. I am also wondering if an American trem would fit in this guitar? I understand it is the exact trem in the SE models and I would really like an American trem.

I know what you're thinking, just buy a real PRS... Well, I can't afford it! The only reason I got this one was because of zzounds.com 12 payment plan, if not for that I would not have been able to afford it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lol, there's nothing wrong with an s2 at all. Yes they are the import pickups and trem. My understanding is that you could do an American trem or a Mann made Trem. The pickups would likely see improvement going to something better. Duncan's wouldn't likely be a step back at all. each pickup has its voice and any quality pickup will work great. A wiring upgrade would be a benefit too. I have some custom wound paf clones shipping my way tomorrow, they were only a few dollars more than good mass production pups. There's tons of options out there. You can hot rod the crap out of that thing and have enough money left over to buy abother one.

Don't buy into other people's BS about S2s not being "real" PRSs. That's moronic.

Before you spend more, play around with the pickup height and pole height. You might be surprised. If they are still not doing it for you, figure out the sound you are after and go for it.

Hit up John Mann for the bridge.

If your really curious about comparison of the S2 HFS and VB pickups, see if your local dealer has a guitar with them and compare them to the S2's version.
Sent ya a PM

Have you considered selling the guitar? Given your dislike of the neck carve, the pickups, etc. it might make sense to sell the S2 and purchase something with the pickups and wide/thin neck carve that you prefer.

If your really curious about comparison of the S2 HFS and VB pickups, see if your local dealer has a guitar with them and compare them to the S2's version.
Sent ya a PM

The problem I have with that is that I don't have any reliable PRS dealers close by, the ones that do carry them generally only have a few SE's on hand, I have never been able to lay my hands on a core model, nor an s2 for that mater, I bought this one site un seen banking on PRS quality and it delivered, at this point it's more or less setting it to my liking.

Have you considered selling the guitar? Given your dislike of the neck carve, the pickups, etc. it might make sense to sell the S2 and purchase something with the pickups and wide/thin neck carve that you prefer.

No, I really don't want to sell it for a couple of reasons, 1 overall I really do like the guitar, 2 I can't afford a core model, 3 I am financing this guitar through zzounds. I know I have made a few posts sounding like I am complaining about this guitar but I am really just trying to get it where I want it for me, personalized so to speak. I don't want to sell it, I love the look and feel, the things I ask are more curiosity questions than gripes. It's all about the guitar fitting me and my tastes but no, I think I am going to keep this one.

Why do you not like the pickups? The hfs and vb are hot and good for the music you play, I guess. A pickup change is a crapshoot unless you know how a new pickup sounds like on the same guitar model you have.

You can order brassblock only from Mann first and see what difference that make.Then add american saddles and see if that makes a difference.Im not sure what kind of materials used in the se/s2 tremolos.Brass adds midrange.Titanium I have tried and to me they are very much like brass,adds midrange with perhaps abit more sparkle on the top end.Steel add more upper mid and treble.Dont forget to check out John Manns excellent video about setting up a PRS tremolo.Sometimes changing pickups will not really change much.The character of the guitar will shine through.For example,for me it's a huge difference between a Fender american standard and an American vintage reissue strat.The steelblock used in vintage spec strats makes a huge difference in the sound we associate with strats.Changing the block in a standard makes it sound as good.In other words,parts can make a difference in how the pickups will sound.

Last edited:
For example,for me it's a huge difference between a Fender american standard and an American vintage reissue strat.The steelblock used in vintage spec strats makes a huge difference in the sound we associate with strats.

Well, the block material does make a difference. Whether or not the difference is an improvement is subjective. I've owned several American Standard and Vintage RI Strats. I prefer the tone of the modern bridge material and sold my RI Strats.

Well, the block material does make a difference. Whether or not the difference is an improvement is subjective. I've owned several American Standard and Vintage RI Strats. I prefer the tone of the modern bridge material and sold my RI Strats.

That i totally agree with Chrisk-K.Its all about a personal preference.

As far as the pickups go, imma gonna say YES. I changed out the pickups in my S2 Mira and it made a huge difference. The stock ones are very, very good but I do believe a set of USA PuPs will make the guitar much better as it did with mine. Incidentally, I tried the Mira pickups in a LP and they sound very good - better than the stock ones.

I've gotta be honest with you guys, NEVERMIND!! I truly jumped the gun with this thread, I was playing at home through my Marshall combo and going from my mij Jackson to the s2 was like flipping a light switch from on to off, now I have taken the guitar to my band room and played through my DSL100 and holy crap this guitar sounds great! I never thought it would be such a big difference but it is, generally my combo sounds good with any guitar but this guitar just didn't have any power however through the big amp it came to life. I am ecstatic and I don't think I am going to bother changing pickups on this guitar at all now.. Thank you all for replies on this. I may still look into some USA pickups but it'll wait a little while. My main thing with this thread was wondering if the USA pickups were any better than the s2 versions.. I think it's another PRS homerun to be honest and I also picked up an SE cu24 tonight too, traded my other guitar player a Mexi strat for it, the wide fat neck is growing on me, I think because my first PRS had the wide thin I was expecting that when I got this one and was let down that it was so different but now I am liking it, the new SE has the same one.

I have to edit this.. The pickups did sound good, but all of a sudden I am swimming in some serious MUD! I don't know what happened but suddenly I am all bottom end... I made a new thread about this and got some more advice, I am going to try all of it then if it still sounds like crap I am going to see about warranty because it sounds so bad that I think something must be wrong, if that doesn't pan out I will look into the SD hot rod set, I think those would work pretty well. I would like to do 59/09 but at the same time I can buy 2 sets of the duncans for less than 1 set of the PRS pickups.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just got myself an s2 cu24, pics are on another post. I am not really excited with the pickups in this guitar, obviously they are the s2 hfs and vb, I hear that these are korean made pups that are spec'd to USA models. I am wondering if it's worth upgrading them to actual USA hfs and vb pickups, or maybe 59/09.. I play hard rock and just need some more a** from my pickups. I would do the \m/ but I want uncovered pickups and the \m/ is covered, though looking at the back it seems like you can take the covers off, is this true? I will also say I have debated some seymour duncan's but I feel like running non PRS pickups would be a step back, so I want to stay in house. I am also wondering if an American trem would fit in this guitar? I understand it is the exact trem in the SE models and I would really like an American trem.

I know what you're thinking, just buy a real PRS... Well, I can't afford it! The only reason I got this one was because of zzounds.com 12 payment plan, if not for that I would not have been able to afford it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Guess this makes me the odd man out. I have a PRS S2 Whale Blue, I love this guitar the way it is. The pickup give a variety of sounds I don't have with my other guitars. I love the neck, it fits my hand perfectly. I have tired other PRS models that cost $4,000 that I don't like as much as I like this guitar. The only change I plan to make on my PRS S2 is locking strap holders. Other than that I am good to go.

The only time I changed pickups in a guitar was when I got a cheap knock off strat for a sort of Billy Corgan project, on which I put Lace Sensors red / silver / blue. Otherwise I agree with others on adjusting height and EQing as preference to get the sound you want. Unless the pickup is faulty, I think you can work with 90% of them really.

To me it seems you are still getting to know the guitar and what it can do and cannot. I wouldn't mess with pickups at this time. You got a super guitar in your hands, don't go modding "in the dark" just because you still didn't find your way with it.

Every guitar has its sound. Personally, I have never been a fan of the HFS/VB pickups. Those kept me away from PRS for years. They clashed with the rest of my rig, and (at the time) being out on the road sometimes I needed a guitar that would morph into my rig when I wanted to use it. Adjusting my rig for a guitar wasn't realistic.

However, regarding the S2 guitars specifically....I have two - a Standard 22 and a Singlecut Standard. Both have the S2 #7 pickups. I LOVE them. I have felt ZERO desire/need to make changes. I have never tried an S2 Custom because of the pickups. I usually won't change pickups - I have to like the guitar the way it is or I won't buy it. Silly, but I spent years and tons of $$$$$ modifying guitars to make them something they aren't.

I agree with leokula - get to know the guitar and go from there.

Ouch!

Hello everyone,
I have just bought (second hand) a PRS S2 Standard 22 2018. Pickups are 85/15s, IMO quite bad... I replace those with a pair of Gibson 57 classic (which I like) I bought second hand for 100£!
Fantastic! Now it sounds great! I compared this with my Core McCarty 1995 with the 57/08 (I changed the pickup even in this). They are not so far! The McC is a bit fat/full but I think because of the bridge and the thickness of the body.
But definitely a S2 second hand it’s one of the best guitar you can buy for the price!
Maybe, I’ll change just the trem block with the brass one!
I have even a S2 Starla where I just changed again the pickup for the USA Starla... fantastic!

Back