S2 with a Katalox fingerboard

dogrocketp

I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!
I got a 2017 S2 Custom 24 with a katalox fingerboard from Dave’s last month. Wanted to make sure the honeymoon was over before I blurted. It seems to sit sonically between rosewood and ebony. It has more presence to my ears, and is not quite as dark as rosewood. On top of that, it’s not as brittle sounding as ebony, and doesn’t have that snap that I don’t care for. I’ll gladly buy any guitar that has katalox if it ticks all the other boxes.

Katalox was supposed to be the new sustainable Ebony. I’ve only heard good things about it.

You can hear a fingerboard ????????
I think soon all guitars will be laidup using carbon fiber, I feel you can design any element of the guitar to perform however you choose.

You can hear a fingerboard ????????
I think soon all guitars will be laidup using carbon fiber, I feel you can design any element of the guitar to perform however you choose.
Yes, I believe it is possible to hear a difference in choice of wood for the fingerboard, other things being equal.

Amazing things can be done with carbon, but I don’t expect it to take over guitars in my lifetime.

After 50+ years of playing, I can hear some differences in various guitar parts. Fingerboards? Easiest part to tell the differences, all things being equal.

Strange how Katalox isn't in the official specs for any PRS, but if you google "PRS Katalox" there are quite a few results and examples of guitars made with it.

I think they're still trying to decide where it fits into their wood stash. I got the guitar out of curiosity, and because I had sold another guitar and wanted a newer S2 custom 24. This is absolutely a keeper. I still can't hear all the sounds before I start playing, which means my solos have real discovery.

What's interesting to me, Andy, is that sometimes ebony can sound a little brittle, or have too much snap for me. The clarity of ebony is amazing. Katalox gives me the clarity, without any brittleness. And when I crank it for a solo, it'll peel your paint. I'm also using a 2 channel, except mine is a 30.

The only guitar I have ebony on is my akesson, I think the thick body balances it well. I (probably) wouldn’t want it on something like a Custom 24, especially if it had a maple neck!

Back