S2 Vela string change

Wailing

Hi Folks

Just thought I would share my experience of changing strings on my Vela for the first time... It was the easiest process I have ever been through, I thought my Telecaster was quick, but you do have to turn the guitar around to thread the strings through, and the tuners are not as good as the Vela locking variety (its an old 1970 Tele). Paul definitely designed a fantastic bridge for the Vela.. I believe its an old design he 'rejigged'... anyone know which guitars he used the similar style on? .. Anyway.. the Vela scores again.. its my go to geetar now, neck is comfortable and the 25 scale length works well.. For some songs the 'sloppy' Fender gauge is slightly better for me, but to be honest, I think I'm the only one who would notice... and the Vela is more comfortable all round. Thumbs up to the satin wonder... many of you folks play this PRS wonder ??

Keep on keeping on... Wailing

Thanks for sharing, the satin semi hollow in cherry is definitely on my shortlist. I really like both pickups, and it is quite comfy. I’m actually building a parts-caster Tele right now as I love the “sloppy” scale length ;), and I don’t have a Tele...

Vela Vela Vela...oh, my sweet Vela! Totally get your take on this wonderful model. Although, not enough pics...

vela-sun.jpg

I must admit I have not sorted a method out to post pictures yet... It seems a bit of a faf

The most unique guitar PRS produces.
Search "Vela" on the forum, there has been lot's of love for them over the last couple of years. Welcome to the club!
I happen to own a few myself....

OD1KtJr.jpg

9p7sqJA.jpg

dv6LLec.jpg

I was considering buying another Vela, but with all the variety of PRS guitars, just can’t get myself to own more than one. If I may ask, what Railhammer pickups do you have installed and how do they sound?

That's an older 'Tel-90' in the antique white one, which is voiced more like a tele bridge pup.
Hyper Vintage in the black satin prototype. It's a rocker!
All the Railhammer pickups are just fantastic, and very high quality. Pretty much anything designed by Joe Naylor is golden...

Since getting mine earlier this year it's getting more play time than some others I allegedly like more. It's just so light, easy and great sounding, and it's also a great 'couch' guitar to just grab and fiddle with watching TV.
I do love guitars that punch above their class...
20200527-110846-resized.jpg

Since getting mine earlier this year it's getting more play time than some others I allegedly like more. It's just so light, easy and great sounding, and it's also a great 'couch' guitar to just grab and fiddle with watching TV.

..you got the studio... nice!

That's an older 'Tel-90' in the antique white one, which is voiced more like a tele bridge pup.
Hyper Vintage in the black satin prototype. It's a rocker!
All the Railhammer pickups are just fantastic, and very high quality. Pretty much anything designed by Joe Naylor is golden...

Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about getting a Chisel set for my S2 Singlecut. Still undecided whether I want to replace the pickups in my Vela - a Hyper Vintage may be just the ticket.

Love my Vela. Totally intend on taking it to the grave with me.:)

I took mine to the grave. Over 25 minutes to run the 17 extension cords we needed to get power for the amps and PA, and someone called the cops before we even finished our opener, "Zombie" by the Cranberries. We never even got to our "She's Not There/Time Of The Season" Zombies medley, nothing from Here Come The Mummies, not to mention our big finale, "I Love The Dead" from Alice Cooper followed by a rousing "Bring Me To Life" from Evanescence.

Guess they're still not over us playing Alice's "Dead Babies" in a medley w/Ogden Edsel's "Dead Puppies" last year...

Three pickup model ? What year did they build that one? It has the fixed bridge !! looks cool

Back