S2 Vela Neck Pick up options (Sizes)

ShawnF1222

I am looking at Lambertones the Crema pick up for the bridge pick up, but curious as to what size pick up would fit at the neck. Is there a "drop in" replacement size wise? Mini HB? P90?

https://lambertones.store/collections/humbuckers/products/the-crema

I've seen a few Vela's here with replacement pickups, but mostly looks like guys just replace the bridge pu. Is that because people like the neck pickup, or bc the size of the neck pu is unique?

Thanks!!

I read online elsewhere that some folks used mini-humbuckers and firebird size pickups for the Vela Type D neck single coil with success. I guess a P90 would be a little too large, both dimensions for the pickguard cutout.

I read online elsewhere that some folks used mini-humbuckers and firebird size pickups for the Vela Type D neck single coil with success. I guess a P90 would be a little too large, both dimensions for the pickguard cutout.
I looked into it at one point and yes, mini-humbuckers and firebird pickups are very close in dimensions and should drop in. Very close means, they might be off a half millimeter here or there, because the Type D are metric and mini-hums and firebird pickups are imperial.

I looked into it at one point and yes, mini-humbuckers and firebird pickups are very close in dimensions and should drop in. Very close means, they might be off a half millimeter here or there, because the Type D are metric and mini-hums and firebird pickups are imperial.
Thank you!!

This thread recently helped me, so I thought I would share my results. I was looking for something similar to the stock neck pickup, but wanted to eliminate 60 cycle hum issues that I was having at several venues. Thanks to this thread, I ended up with the SD Antiquity 2 Firebird neck pickup. It fit right in with no mods and works great with the electronics that came stock with the guitar. Note: I had to wax pot this pickup on my own as I often play with gain. Our cover band plays music from the 50s to today's music and this guitar does it all....now with no noise! Thanks for the help!

Back