S2 Vela Keeps Dropping Out of Tune

RickyFresh

Hey all, I just recently purchased a used Vela (semi-hollow, reclaimed wood). It sounds great, although I can't seem to keep it in tune for the life of me. This became a real problem at my first gig as it was really embarrassing playing, then realizing how out of tune it had become after a few seconds into a song!

This guitar comes stock with the locking tuners (which appear to be perfectly locked), and I've heard great things about, so I'm really surprised.

I just picked up a new pack of strings, so I will restring tonight, stretch them, and see if anything changes.

I also noticed that the string action is a little high. I couldn't find the factory action settings for the strings, so they might be right where they need to be, but who knows. Maybe this is affecting my problem.

Has anyone had this problem with the Vela? Any advice from anyone at all would help. I've had to switch back to my G&L for gigs!!

Thanks for reading guys.

Had a similar problem with mine, but it stays a lot better in tune now I bought a room humidifier. Haven't taken it out for gigging yet, so don't know how it will react to different humidities and/or that was really the problem.

Hm that is odd as my reclaimed Vela is one of my most stable guitars. I don't know how you're stringing the locking tuners currently but you want to make sure you pull the string all the way through till it's tight and then tighten down the tuners at least hand tight. This way you'll avoid having any wraps on the peg, also as you already said stretching is necessary.

As far as string height I think the factory spec is 4/64ths at the 12th fret for every string, although having it higher shouldn't cause tuning instability.

How many wraps do the strings make around each tuning peg?

Properly strung, it should only be about a half turn...

Hi Ricky, welcome to the forum.

As per my reply on the intro thread. What gauge of string are you using and what does the nut look like it’s cut for?

The nut may not be PRS or similar spec, causing string tension where it’s not wanted.

Lastly, can’t remember if you said if it has a trem? Are you using it if it has one?

Some detailed photos of the bridge, nut, etc. would help please.

Hm that is odd as my reclaimed Vela is one of my most stable guitars. I don't know how you're stringing the locking tuners currently but you want to make sure you pull the string all the way through till it's tight and then tighten down the tuners at least hand tight. This way you'll avoid having any wraps on the peg, also as you already said stretching is necessary.

As far as string height I think the factory spec is 4/64ths at the 12th fret for every string, although having it higher shouldn't cause tuning instability.

Thank you for your input!! Once I restring I’ll be sure to do what you instructed. String height was about double as high as it should have been so I’ll be taking that down as well.

How many wraps do the strings make around each tuning peg?

Properly strung, it should only be about a half turn...
Hey ruger, the strings on it currently look to be about half way around the peg... looks about right.

Expanding on my reply in the intro thread, I'd suspect the culprit to be the locking tuners, the strings, or the nut. Will be interested to hear what happens with the new strings.

Expanding on my reply in the intro thread, I'd suspect the culprit to be the locking tuners, the strings, or the nut. Will be interested to hear what happens with the new strings.

As I’m deducting possibilities here, my money is on the nut. I’ll post updates

Full reveal...mine isn’t rock-solid on tuning, either. I’m constantly adjusting, like my old Les Paul. My gut suspects the tuners but when I change strings next, I’ll be dressing and Nut Sauce-ing the nut. Despite this inconvenience, I freakin’ love this guitar and have gigged it about a dozen times, or so.

Reactions: CVS
Hmm, my RL Vela is pretty solid, tuning wise. I can pick it up after ignoring it for a couple weeks and there is a greater than 50% chance it will still be in tune.

Can you post a pic of the nut, up close and personal-like? Maybe that is why it was on the used market: Something Went Wrong with a nut swap or similar.

the Velas come with 10s as stock, so putting 9s on it should not be introducing any nut binding.

Back