S2 Tuner: too sensitivity?

Shiloh Lam

Hi All,

I got my S2 CU24 for few months from the factory (and i didn't change anything).

One thing I think about is the tuner.

When I twist the tuner a little bit, the pitch change a lot, much more sensitivity to my previous SE.

Is it normal? or something wrong with the tuner or springs?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Shiloh,

I'm not sure what you're saying here, so you may need to use the correct words rather than try describe something that initially doesn't seem to make sense.

When you change one of the tuners (or more?) are you saying the actual tone of the guitar changes? How would you describe the tone change (becomes to thin sounding, too muddy (too much mid-range), too much bass)?

If you're saying the tuning will change a lot when you twist one or more of the tuners, that might be due to the fact your strings have too few winds around the tuning post and were originally wound with less than a full 1 or 2 winds.

You might try changing strings.. Place your right hand, palm facing the headstock, perpendicular to the fretboard, under the string to be wound to the tuners at the 12th fret. This will allow the strings to have extra windings around the tuner posts and not cause so much tuning variance compared to previously.

If you're saying the guitar tone changes, I got nuthin'. Guitar tone is what it is, and shouldn't change significantly when you tune your guitar.

Shiloh,

I'm not sure what you're saying here, so you may need to use the correct words rather than try describe something that initially doesn't seem to make sense.

When you change one of the tuners (or more?) are you saying the actual tone of the guitar changes? How would you describe the tone change (becomes to thin sounding, too muddy (too much mid-range), too much bass)?

If you're saying the tuning will change a lot when you twist one or more of the tuners, that might be due to the fact your strings have too few winds around the tuning post and were originally wound with less than a full 1 or 2 winds.

You might try changing strings.. Place your right hand, palm facing the headstock, perpendicular to the fretboard, under the string to be wound to the tuners at the 12th fret. This will allow the strings to have extra windings around the tuner posts and not cause so much tuning variance compared to previously.

If you're saying the guitar tone changes, I got nuthin'. Guitar tone is what it is, and shouldn't change significantly when you tune your guitar.

Hi, thanks for your reply, sorry to using the wrong word, it is about the "pitch" of the string, not "tone".

For S2 tuner, it aims for easy installation of the string, so just 1-2 winds (just as it is when it comes out from the factory).

The tuning will seem more sensitive on the low E string, and progressively less sensitive on each higher string.

Hi, thanks for your reply, sorry to using the wrong word, it is about the "pitch" of the string, not "tone".

For S2 tuner, it aims for easy installation of the string, so just 1-2 winds (just as it is when it comes out from the factory).

Shiloh,

Is the guitar brand new, or something you purchased 2nd-hand? Reason for my question is, if the guitar is used, you may have tuners that are not factory-spec. We might need to see pics of the front of the headstock. Does the reverse of the headstock tuners say PRS on the tuners themselves? That might help partially solve a problem...

Different gear ratio between the SE tuners and the S2 tuners would cause that. If the gear ratio on the S2 tuners is higher then it will take less turning to make an impact.

I have the issue as the OP. Perhaps it is the graftech nut that is causing the problem. Maybe not enough friction.
To the OP if you are still the forum did you solve your problem?

Back