S2 Sub Par Parts?

It is just that I have read on this site the past few days some negativity on the S2s.
Not having any issues at all with anything on it...
I just do not understand the negativity I have been reading here lately on these, this S2 is awesome.

S2 negativity is nothing new. I believe much of it comes from people not understanding PRS's target market for the line.

You know how forums go. Topics/attitudes seem to come and go in waves.

I should further qualify my previous post by saying there are plenty of people who think the stock parts are totally fine, driving home the position that these are all just opinions and there's nothing I know of that is failing at high rates.

FWIW, I've had my S2 Custom 24 for about 6 months now and have had no problems with it whatsoever. The SE trem is great once you set it up correctly, and the electronics have worked just fine. At one point my volume pot started to get a little scratchy, but after cleaning, it works just like new. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it: I love my S2 and would highly recommend them to anyone looking at $1000-1500 range of guitars.

Other than these concerns, this thing plays as well as my more expensive 2013 408 MT.
In fact the Pattern Regular neck on it seems to be about the same size and feel as the Pattern Thin on my 408.
In other words, I dig the neck, and I am thinking I am starting to like it even better than the Wide/Thin on my SE Tremonti Custom.

Now the Wide/Fat on my ZM is OK, but my hand can get a little cramped after playing that thicker neck for awhile.

The S2 carve/Pattern Reg is a great shape. It's actually the same depth front to back as Wide/fat, but just a hair narrower side-to-side than the W/F and W/T, which is what gives it a less beefy feel. Measurements aside, it does feel like the perfect balance between W/F and W/T, and I love it!!!

I got one of the very early Miras, so early in the production that it came with a Strat switch tip instead of the PRS one. The volume pot died pretty early, and the pickups were merely okay, but the guitar itself is one of the best playing/feeling that I have ever owned at any price. After trying several sets of pickups in it, including USA PRS, I have settled on a set of Jonesy Blues PAF clones (along with a pot upgrade to CTS) and it now sounds as good as it plays. All the other hardware is first-rate, so all-in-all, even factoring in the cost of an electronics upgrade, it is an insane value for a guitar that plays and sounds so good.

Glad you guy's are liking yours.
Yes, Andy, this neck feels so much better than the ZM and my SE Santana.

Gball, will see how my volume pot does over time, and if it does go out, I will just have the dealer solder in a Core one.
Pretty sure I am going to go with this SM 59 pickups too.

I am still tickled how well this thing plays.
I thought my son's new Christmas present was one of the best SEs I have ever played, but this plays even better.
Like I said before, it is stealing time from my 408, and the 408 is a great pleasure to play too :D

I agree with gball. It's such a great platform, and for the price I was happy to overlook and change a few things. I've spent less than half the cost of a new core guitar and mine just slays, playability and tone wise.

I've been saying for a while now that I think PRS compromised in the right places with the S2. It's easy to swap electronics if you don't like them, but you can't substitute the fretwork, rolled fretboard edges, great feeling Regular neck shape, and high quality wood.

Over the weekend, in another realm of the internet, I saw a guy bashing S2's, saying they're "made in Korea" and all the parts are junk, the guitars are glorified SE's, PRS is going down the same road as G and F, on and on. Really irked me, and I wanted to set him straight, but in my heart I knew there's no reasoning with the trolls.

If I'm going to have my say about anything, give me a guitar with a solid foundation - woods, straight neck, fretwork, finish, overall quality of construction. How people can dismiss the craftsmanship of the Maryland team, I'll never understand. This is where the other companies miss the mark. Don't try to entice me with a warped plank that you put USA parts on. It's still a piece of crap, it'll never play well, even if it sounds decent. I've played some BAD entry level USA guitars from G and F. Strings 1/4" from the fretboard bad.

Now that we've established a good foundation, let's talk parts. Spec some high quality import parts to make this finely crafted instrument more affordable? Sure. People hear "import" and forget that PRS is demanding exact, proprietary designs be made to strict tolerances. These are not "off the shelf" parts. I could probably swap my USA and S2 Phase II's, and not notice. The electronics have PRS treble bleed caps and coil split resistors in their circuits.

Granted, pickups will be swapped - but not for lack of quality. I might swap the 7's in one of my S2's, not because they're not good, just because I want something different. I think they sound brilliant, and they will not be moving from my other S2. Hell, I have a set of SE245's that I can't get out of my Mira X, even after trying USA Mira pups!

Maybe Uncle Sam should award PRS a contract for the next JSF project? They seem to be pretty good at making things on a budget that actually work!

Corey, I have an S2 30th anniversary custom 24. I have had no issues with anything!!!!!. I originally wanted to put core hfs and vb in it to pay homage PRS milestone, but the S2 pickups sounded excellent. I agree with those who say play it and replace components as they fail. This is what most do on any guitar. As for the pickups, make it sound like you want. Folks here do it on Core as well as SE models, so doing it to an S2 is no different.

After spending some time with the new CE 24 which shares may parts with the S2, I found them to be very nice, smooth, well machined, great finish, etc. The F guys do a very nice job with their hardware, fit and finish with the guitars built in Mexico. The G guys, not so much. The G that I saw at GC was awful. On the back of the headstock, you could barely see the made in USA and serial number because the quality was so bad.

There are a lot of snobs, haters, whiners, complainers, and miscellaneous bitchers that have nothing better to do than rag on whatever company or product or artist or whatever they're into, on any given day.

It's all a load of BS.

I was really impressed with the S2s at the 30th Anniversary event. I think they look like very high quality machines, and they feel great.

I'm not completely ga-ga over the S2 shape but for $1,200 street price, they are an absolute steal.

S2s are a fantastic guitar and an excellent value as sold. Period.
The most critical elements (wood quality / seasoning, design, construction and finishing) are all top flight... truly PRS USA quality.
The electronic package, while good, is not on a similar level. Period.
In my mind this is preferable to having great electronics in a sub-standard instrument with poor setup and sketchy construction. This makes them more affordable.

My S2 Singlecut Semi-hollow weighs in at a tic under 7lbs. It is one of the most beautiful instruments I have ever owned or seen. Holding it / playing it, you can feel and sense end to end integrity (the thing has good bones). Switching to an electronic package commensurate with this awesome build quality cost no more than a decent pedal or two. I was thrilled with the results... no second guessing... perfect.

Fantastic S2s are already showing up in the secondary market. Folks needing a great guitar can pick one up. Play / enjoy it in stock form and later (if so motivated) kick it up a notch and have a USA made world beater dialed to taste.

S2s are a fantastic guitar and an excellent value as sold. Period.
The most critical elements (wood quality / seasoning, design, construction and finishing) are all top flight... truly PRS USA quality.
The electronic package, while good, is not on a similar level. Period.
In my mind this is preferable to having great electronics in a sub-standard instrument with poor setup and sketchy construction. This makes them more affordable.

My S2 Singlecut Semi-hollow weighs in at a tic under 7lbs. It is one of the most beautiful instruments I have ever owned or seen. Holding it / playing it, you can feel and sense end to end integrity (the thing has good bones). Switching to an electronic package commensurate with this awesome build quality cost no more than a decent pedal or two. I was thrilled with the results... no second guessing... perfect.

Fantastic S2s are already showing up in the secondary market. Folks needing a great guitar can pick one up. Play / enjoy it in stock form and later (if so motivated) kick it up a notch and have a USA made world beater dialed to taste.

Whoa, that one is stunning!

There are some crazy good deals to be found on used S2 guitars. I make sure to avoid looking at them online so I don't get sucked in to buying another!

I agree with gball. It's such a great platform, and for the price I was happy to overlook and change a few things. I've spent less than half the cost of a new core guitar and mine just slays, playability and tone wise.

I've been saying for a while now that I think PRS compromised in the right places with the S2. It's easy to swap electronics if you don't like them, but you can't substitute the fretwork, rolled fretboard edges, great feeling Regular neck shape, and high quality wood.

Couldn't agree more. How many times have you seen someone bring home a brand new, $2000+ guitar and immediately gut it and replace the pickups and electronics. Makes the S2's even more attractive for someone who is a chronic "upgrader" I would think.

Whoa, that one is stunning!

There are some crazy good deals to be found on used S2 guitars. I make sure to avoid looking at them online so I don't get sucked in to buying another!

Thanks Garrett! The Semi-hollow I purchased new.
I found this one (a 2015 model) used... in gorgeous shape.
I treated it to an electronic upgrade as well. I added the cream rings while at it.

Back