S2 Studio....why limited edition?

P90s

The tag on my S2 Studio says it came out of the factory 10 days before I bought it via the web. So, basically, it sat in inventory for probably 36 hours. Other folks patiently waited MONTHS to finally receive theirs. When a model is THIS popular, will PRS consider making it a full-time member of the S2 family? Will they consider a Core version?
I played it out again last night and a friend (who's heard all my PRS models, and my Strat, and my Gibson R9) came up afterward and said, "THAT guitar is amazing!"
I'm wondering if I need to buy a second one and stash it away as a back-up in case something ever happens to this one. Once you've played an S2 Studio, it's hard to imagine not having one!

Doubt they’ll go Core but popular models have been known to transition to full-on catalogue offerings if they do well. The Stripped 58 is a good example. Limited to start in 2011, the following model year it was a new SKU on the product list (with an expanded options list to boot).

If you look at the trend, PRS has been tending to move designs from Core to S2 and not from S2 to Core.

IMO, the advantage of the S2 line is that they’re at a price point where more people are willing to take a risk with non-Standard pickups, shapes and unique finishes. IMO, once you’re up into Core prices most people will want to play it safe.

The advantage with limited edition models is they can push something unique with limited appeal since they don’t have to commit to selling it year after year.

The advantage with limited edition models is they can push something unique with limited appeal since they don’t have to commit to selling it year after year.

Exactly. It's similar to crowd funding. PRS helps drive demand by taking orders for a limited time, which in turn funds the manufacturing run. It's a fabulous way for them to test the market with minimal risk. If something goes over big enough and they see continuing demand: Bam! Add it to the regular line up.

Back