S2 Studio Pickguard - Help

Griz

I posted about incoming (used)NGD on Saturday and it has arrived. Guitar feels great and is in excellent condition. With my original post I mentioned I might want to swap out the pick guard for a black one. After receiving the guitar I definitely want to swap it out. The original plastic was still on and when peeling back, you can see how the pick guard has yellowed a bit.

I can't find a stock one anywhere and with PRS accessory store closed, I can't ask them if they happen to have a spare. I know they don't have any listed for sale.

Unless a forum member happens to have one they would be willing to part with, it looks like I will have to go the custom route, which is fine. I contacted a few of the pick guard vendors that are mentioned in other posts and none of them have a template for this guitar. Does anyone out there have a PDF they can send me so I don't have to remove and trace?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

WmB3uas.jpg

+1, I think the guard is intentionally a “mint” color. You sure about black on that? White or white pearloid would be cool.
I guess it is "mint" and I was able to get most of the residue from the plastic off of it. I can see where white perloid would look good. I also saw a black abalone that might be cool too. Once a final decision is made and I get the new pick guard, I will post pics.

From personal experience, a black guard will just make the whole thing look dark...really changing the effect of that nice blue color. Where as a light/white guard makes the blue pop and stand out.
That being said, it's your gittar and you may prefer a dark guard...
In the mean time, just play it & enjoy it!

From personal experience, a black guard will just make the whole thing look dark...really changing the effect of that nice blue color. Where as a light/white guard makes the blue pop and stand out.
That being said, it's your gittar and you may prefer a dark guard...
In the mean time, just play it & enjoy it!
Thanks. This is a versatile guitar. I couldn't put it down yesterday. Love the feel of the neck and the various tone settings. I had thought about getting a Vela in the future, but with this guitar with the middle position of neck and bridge pickups, I kind of think it is the same thing. I am sure there are some other differences between the two.

Thanks. This is a versatile guitar. I couldn't put it down yesterday. Love the feel of the neck and the various tone settings. I had thought about getting a Vela in the future, but with this guitar with the middle position of neck and bridge pickups, I kind of think it is the same thing. I am sure there are some other differences between the two.

I played an S2 Studio once at a shop a little further from home and really liked it, but held off because I already had two 22 fret S2's (Satin and SH). Then they got one at the local shop, played that and loved it as well, even firmly more than a few Silver Sky models I played that day. Although, to be fair to the SS, I think I liked the Studio because it's the neck feel, scale length, tonewoods, and overall tonal balance I'm used to, not because the SS isn't a wonderful perfection of the S-type guitar, it is. I just really dig having the two singles, and the jangly humbucker, but with the tonal depth of a hog neck and body. So anyways, that Studio called to me after I left that day, and that was that, and I'm really, very happy to have it because it makes sounds that none of my other PRS' make, but with the fatness that my Strat can't match, either. I think the pickups are the best import pickups I've ever played. The humbucker even has a fantastic split, and I don't usually like splits. I just don't understand how demand for the Studio didn't force them into being a full time offering, maybe just not enough people being able to try them.

And, wouldn't you know it, both the Studios I played were Frost Blue Metallic. They just sound best.

There you have it, Sergio! Another testimonial to the power of the blue guitar! Mine is also blue.

Outstanding! I have 3 Vela's and a Standard 22, and I like these S2 models so much I've been selling off some of my core models that never really got played...

That’s the stock Starla pickup. A bunch of us really like the way it sounds with the mahogany body and neck.

That looks great! I have one of Dan's Silver Sky replacement pickguards, and it is flawless.

I know there weren't fans of my vision for a black pick guard. But with the help of Dan at MojoAxe, I finally did it.

87Ieuna.jpg

Back