S2 Studio and Boss Wireless WL-50

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by Jeff Almen, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Jeff Almen

Jeff Almen New Member

Doing some detective work. I have a PRS S2 Studio. I have been using a Boss WL-50 wireless connector. Transmitter in guitar to pedal-size base station/receiver/recharger. I'm getting an intermittent drop of signal connection between the guitar/transmitter and the base station that I don't seem to get with my S2 Singlecut or a T-Type G&L It's almost like there's a loose connection in the Studio's 1/4" input jack. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

If you’ve been able to repeat that phenomenon, I would say you’re probably right. Especially if being plugged in is what turns the transmitter on - from a brief viewing of that system, looks like that might be the case. Either a loose connection, or just the specific way that plug fits in the jack.

I’ve had a similar issue with digital wireless and crowded wireless frequencies, so consider that as well.

Alnus Rubra and Boogie like this.
  3. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

If the switch post on the Xmitter isn’t being fully depressed you could get less than a full signal. I had to expose more of the jack barrel on one of my guitars so my G10 would fully seat properly.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  4. Ovibos

Ovibos Unsure why all necks aren't rosewood

This.

My wood library and an S2 suffer from this. Other guitars are fine.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  5. Jeff Almen

Jeff Almen New Member

Thank you all. Andy and Boogie...you were right. I unscrewed the 1/4" female jack plate, gently pulled it out of the guitar body and plugged in the Boss WL-50 transmitter's jack. I could see that the guitar jack created a loose connection. The transmitter didn't seat well. The loose nature of the 1/4" input let the transmitter go too far into the guitar. I did a slight inward bend on the female jack's "s" shaped contact. I then took one inside washer from guitar input and put it on the outside (exterior) side of the jack as a spacer. The (washer) spacer was enough to prevent the transmitter's jack from going to far into the guitar. The bend created contact tension. Now, the transmitter's male jack fits tight and snug, with no drop-outs. Problem solved. Thanks again.

6. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Good to hear you got it sorted.

This is a great place and there are really good people on here.

bodia likes this.