S2 Studio and Boss Wireless WL-50

Jeff Almen

Doing some detective work. I have a PRS S2 Studio. I have been using a Boss WL-50 wireless connector. Transmitter in guitar to pedal-size base station/receiver/recharger. I'm getting an intermittent drop of signal connection between the guitar/transmitter and the base station that I don't seem to get with my S2 Singlecut or a T-Type G&L It's almost like there's a loose connection in the Studio's 1/4" input jack. Any thoughts? Thanks.

If you’ve been able to repeat that phenomenon, I would say you’re probably right. Especially if being plugged in is what turns the transmitter on - from a brief viewing of that system, looks like that might be the case. Either a loose connection, or just the specific way that plug fits in the jack.

I’ve had a similar issue with digital wireless and crowded wireless frequencies, so consider that as well.

If the switch post on the Xmitter isn’t being fully depressed you could get less than a full signal. I had to expose more of the jack barrel on one of my guitars so my G10 would fully seat properly.

If the switch post on the Xmitter isn’t being fully depressed you could get less than a full signal. I had to expose more of the jack barrel on one of my guitars so my G10 would fully seat properly.
This.

My wood library and an S2 suffer from this. Other guitars are fine.

Thank you all. Andy and Boogie...you were right. I unscrewed the 1/4" female jack plate, gently pulled it out of the guitar body and plugged in the Boss WL-50 transmitter's jack. I could see that the guitar jack created a loose connection. The transmitter didn't seat well. The loose nature of the 1/4" input let the transmitter go too far into the guitar. I did a slight inward bend on the female jack's "s" shaped contact. I then took one inside washer from guitar input and put it on the outside (exterior) side of the jack as a spacer. The (washer) spacer was enough to prevent the transmitter's jack from going to far into the guitar. The bend created contact tension. Now, the transmitter's male jack fits tight and snug, with no drop-outs. Problem solved. Thanks again.

Good to hear you got it sorted.

This is a great place and there are really good people on here.

Thank you all. Andy and Boogie...you were right. I unscrewed the 1/4" female jack plate, gently pulled it out of the guitar body and plugged in the Boss WL-50 transmitter's jack. I could see that the guitar jack created a loose connection. The transmitter didn't seat well. The loose nature of the 1/4" input let the transmitter go too far into the guitar. I did a slight inward bend on the female jack's "s" shaped contact. I then took one inside washer from guitar input and put it on the outside (exterior) side of the jack as a spacer. The (washer) spacer was enough to prevent the transmitter's jack from going to far into the guitar. The bend created contact tension. Now, the transmitter's male jack fits tight and snug, with no drop-outs. Problem solved. Thanks again.
Two of my PRS won’t play nice with the Boss transmitter. The tiny button that turns it on needs to be perfectly snug to the nut on the outside of the jack and I’ve tried multiple things to fix it.

Giving up for now and going back to a cord.

Two of my PRS won’t play nice with the Boss transmitter. The tiny button that turns it on needs to be perfectly snug to the nut on the outside of the jack and I’ve tried multiple things to fix it.

Calling @dmatthews to the white courtesy phone.

It doesn’t need the nut, but the jack barrel. Take it apart, take off the inside nut, tighten the outside but...making more of the jack barrel stick out. Your xmiter will interface sooner with the jack and should work normally. Worked for me.

Last edited:
It doesn’t need the nut, but the jack barrel. Take it apart, take off the inside but, tighten the outside but...making more of the jack barrel stick out. Your xmiter will interface sooner with the jack and should work normally. Worked for me.
^^^THIS^^^ Need to make sure the little plunger on the TX is depressed fully.

It doesn’t need the nut, but the jack barrel. Take it apart, take off the inside but, tighten the outside but...making more of the jack barrel stick out. Your xmiter will interface sooner with the jack and should work normally. Worked for me.

OK, you inspired me to give it one more shot.

It doesn’t seem to have anything to do with washers just the angle of the bent metal contact jack itself.

So I went in with some verrrry gently pliers bends and reshaped it a tiny bit and now the plug goes further into the guitar and hits the barrel of the jack more consistently.

Of course, I just completely redid my pedalboard several hours earlier out of frustration to remove the Boss receiver!

Back