S2 Starla pickup swap

fender1punk

Certified Guitar Hoarder
I'm a huge fan of the S2 Starla, but the pickups aren't really playing nicely with my rig. My other PRS guitars and my F type guitars all sing, but the Starla sounds like a guard dog barking. Has anyone swapped out their pickups? I was leaning toward Bare Knuckle Mules or Stormy Mondays, but I'm open to suggestions. Oh, pics are appreciated.

I like the SD Antiquity and 78. Totally different pups but they both responded in the Vela beautifully.

velaantiquity.jpg

velaplateback.jpg

Never heard of Lambertones until now. Definitely going to start binging YouTube videos. Didn’t think to go antiquities. Also doing to check them out. I may even leave it alone and grab an SE version as my guinea pig/ test mule for pickups.

Looks sweet, great job. Is the 78 a seymour duncan as well? How does it sound in comparison?
The 78 is a Duncan pickup, albeit custom shop. It’s the design they did for EVH back when he was looking for a duplicate from Frankenstein. It cuts and has the reserved power you’d expect. With a Plexi or 72 Marshall, it is sublime. The Antiquity is more geared toward a warmer, vintage tone and naturally attenuated those harsher frequencies. A set of those are in my SE245, too, and they are exquisite. Again, totally different flavors. Both of which I like having at my fingertips for whatever mood strikes my fancy.

Hey Shawn - I know I'm rather late to this conversation, but I just bought a used S2 Starla Cherry (just like yours in your profile pic) and the previous owner put in Lambertone The Crema pickups in it. I think it sounds great - but I have the original pickup too. Just wondering if you swapped your pickups out and what you thought... I'm super curious to hear the originals although I'm quite happy with the Crema pickups in there now.

Hi Fender1Punk,

Your post interests me bc I am in the same boat.

I've been looking at Lambertone pick ups. They have one called the crema which I am interested in. I just haven't pulled the trigger. ($$)
https://lambertones.store/collections/humbuckers

I was also looking at Lollar El Rayo.
https://www.lollarguitars.com/lollar-humbucker-pickups/el-rayo-humbucker

And TV Jones. But TV Jones offers so many that I am still trying to figure that out.

Back