S2 Starla: Inconsistent Pickup quality ~~~

enigma

After finding out that S2 Starla scale is 25" (as compared to 24.5" for Starla) I went out to try out one. I came across a new, white 2013 (looked like it was played and returned) and was very impressed with the tones I was getting out of the new Vox amps. However, the GC manager and I were quibbling over $100.

So, I went to another GC and found a 2014 vintage cherry Starla (I prefer this finish). Excited, I plugged it into the same Vox model and was not getting the same tone as the 2013. I walked out disappointed!

Pickups are only one ingredient in the tone equation! They do vary, but not as much as guitars vary since they're made of an inconsistent organic product (wood). Cables vary a LOT between brands, also room acoustics vary... you said the one looked like it had been returned, so it's possible it has different strings on it, even a different gauge which will change the tone.

I'd be curious if the pickup height was the same on both guitars as well. Generally has a pretty decent impact on how it sounds.

I agree that other relevant variables play into this tonal disparity, but clearly there was a tonal difference between the '13 and '14 S2 Starla. The '13 Starla sounded fantastic through a new Vox 1x12. I played the '14 Starla through the same amp with similar settings at a different GC with less than satisfying tonal experience. I then tried a bunch of other amps with it. As a long time PRS player with a good amount of PRSi guitars, I don't think I experienced a disparity with other US made models as I did with these two. Maybe, this particular Starla was not up to par.

you could replace it, it can seem like a daunting task, but it’s really a very simple one. Often, the best way to change your sound (assuming that you like the way your guitar plays and looks) is to replace the original pickups — especially if the originals weren’t too good to begin with.

I decided on getting a used, USA model. I hope to have one by this afternoon in vintage cherry! :)

Back