S2 Starla Bigsby or S2 Semi Hollow 22?

Zamna Sanchez

I am about to acquire my first PRS guitar and just cannot decide about these two models. I love the looks of the Starla and bigsby retro/classic ( more affordable price for me), but I love the idea of the semi-hollow body of the S2 Custom 22 ( but is very expensive). So, difference in price Starla is 800 pounds and Semi-hollow 1300 pounds... can anyone give me their opinion in cons and pros of both models? bigsby vs tremolo... solid vs semi hollow, starla picks versus 80/15 s... neck ???? HELP!!! thanks a lot

I don't have a Starla, but do have the S2 Custom 22 SH. Wonderful guitar, but it doesn't have the same tone as a solid body. More bass, more relaxed highs, and not as tight and snappy sounding as a similar solid body, just more "air" to it. Really great for fitting into a more relaxed mix. If you want to play more aggressive rock or blues, I would probably say look more at the Starla. If you're more after fat, slightly mellowed sounds, go for the semi hollow.

For £800 the Starla is a bargain. Grab that and start saving up to add the semi to your collection at a later time.

Well, I own a s2 custom 24, a s2 singlecut semi, a s2 singlecut and 2 s2 starlas.. Each has it's own character. It really depends what sound you're after , but the Starla covers a lot of ground and has a good pricepoint. I would suggest to try out both models if possible. good luck.

While writing this comment Sergio made a very valid point (as usual):cool:

Thank you to all of you guys! really good points! :) Any advice on the bigsby? it stay in tune or is kind of a tricky one to deal with comarped to the PRS tremolo... it feels and looks different though

Thank you to all of you guys! really good points! :) Any advice on the bigsby? it stay in tune or is kind of a tricky one to deal with comarped to the PRS tremolo... it feels and looks different though

It’s stable if a) your nut is cut correctly and b) you use it within parameters (ie, no “dive bombing”). Restringing them can be a bit daunting for a novice. Look up some YouTube videos, keep a pencil on hand to prewrap the ball ends and/or invest in a Vibramate String Spoiler (can be especially useful if you gig and need to do a lightning-quick change).

The Bigsby stays in tune, no worries. Just keep a capo nearby when changing strings. And keep in mind that a Bigsby isn't designed for divebombs :eek:

Also, if you want to have some fun regarding a Starla, look at Whitecat's private stock Starla, in his avatar. Most definitely the coolest one I've ever seen.

It’s stable if a) your nut is cut correctly and b) you use it within parameters (ie, no “dive bombing”). Restringing them can be a bit daunting for a novice. Look up some YouTube videos, keep a pencil on hand to prewrap the ball ends and/or invest in a Vibramate String Spoiler (can be especially useful if you gig and need to do a lightning-quick change).

thank a lot :) very helpful advice :)

Back