S2 Standard vs Singlecut

BRISTOL86

Hi All

PRS newbie here - never played one and know next to nothing about them.

I'm looking for a versatile guitar that can cover various styles and have had recommendations for the PRS S2 range.

How different are the 85/15 pickups in the S2 Standard to the #7s in the Singlecut? Aesthetically I much prefer the looks of the Singlecut. There's nowhere local I can try them so will be firing blind a little bit.

I'm used to Strats and I like the Strat tone, especially the 1st and 2nd position tones, so I'd definitely want to be able to get reasonably close to that clean tone as well as being able to get heavier lead tones out of it as well.

Thanks for any pointers!

I would describe my #7’s as thicker, meatier with a less defined high end. They are by no means muddy. Ultimately, you need both. Remember, the S2 standard is all mahogany, while the single cuts are mostly maple/ mahogany bodies with either mahogany or maple necks. This is not solely about the pickups. I’ve never used a single cut to get Strat tones. I also don’t use an suv as a sports car.

Both great guitars, but I don’t think you get “Strat tones” from #7 pickups.

That's what I'd assumed, I'm thinking the 85/15's will get me closer to those tones, which is a shame as I find the looks of the singlecut fantastic.

I would describe my #7’s as thicker, meatier with a less defined high end. They are by no means muddy. Ultimately, you need both. Remember, the S2 standard is all mahogany, while the single cuts are mostly maple/ mahogany bodies with either mahogany or maple necks. This is not solely about the pickups. That’s why you need both.

Haha one day maybe but for now sadly there's budget for one!

I should add that I'm a home, low volume player only and will be playing through Helix Native so can probably get close enough to any tone sufficient for my very basic purposes, so I'm probably over worrying about it.

I have an S2 Singlecut and an S2 Custom 24 (okay, not a Standard). The 85/15 "S" pickups in the Cu24 when split sound more Fendery to me than the #7 "S" pickups split in the Singlecut. Maybe the maple top on the Custom adds a brightness that a mahogany Standard can't??

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Edit: I also have an S2 Studio. Try finding a used one. If you're looking for something Strat-like, it will get you closer than an S2 Standard or S2 Singlecut.

I get some nice bell-like tones out of my CU22 SE semi hollow, especially since I added separate coil splits and better pots. It's not exactly like my American Standard with Fat 50's, it's a bit fuller sounding, but it's certainly within shouting distance.

Back