S2 Standard pickup upgrade

Sybo

Jim
What are you guys doing for a replacement for the 58/15S pups? I need more ………punch, raunch, bluesy, yea I want it all…. What says ye?

I did DiMarzio D-Activator X set on mine. Also have parallel which sounds better to me than split. They're very versatile. Can be crystal clear, and go nuclear at will.

Dont have an S2, yet, but I've been on a Bareknuckle kick lately so that would be my choice. Specifically the Abraxas model. I've about fallen in love with those. That set has everything you want for singing, bluesy tones. The Bridge is like an overwound PAF, without being too crusty. The neck feels like P90-ish territory, with more bite of course, but I'm impressed at the clarity. Another current favorite is the PRS Dragon 2. I am really enjoying those too, the bridge position sounds fantastic.

How much $$$ do you want to spend? If you’re on a budget, get the SD hot rodded set. If you got a little more to spend, then maybe Bareknuckle mules. You can’t go wrong these p/u.

If it was me, and I knew what sound I wanted I'd contact Wolfe at wolfetone first. He's one of the best guys out there to deal with.. fast, reasonable, and an awesome product.

If I stayed PRS I'd go 59/09.

Another vote for SD. You pick. Good price with plenty of info and tools on their site to find what's right for you.

I have a set of 59/09’s in mine. I had a 59/09 bridge paired with a 57/08 neck, but the 57/08 was a bit too dark. The 59/09 neck is a bit brighter, and the split coil tone is very single coil-ish, which pairs sweetly with the bridge full hum bucker. I’m thinking of putting the same set in my core McCarty 594 dc. They have punch, sustain, and the versatility to cover all the bases.

I have a 59/09 bridge in mine, and kept the #7S neck pickup. The 59/09 is an awesome midrange loaded straight up rock tone, and the 7S, while I’ve found they can be fickle about what guitar they’re in, is very articulate and well balanced there.

Of course, if you’re already buying a 59/09, might as well buy the neck and bridge.

Anyone gone with Lollars? I am thinking Imperials. Thoughts? My mainstay is blues...

Last edited:
If it was me, and I knew what sound I wanted I'd contact Wolfe at wolfetone first. He's one of the best guys out there to deal with.. fast, reasonable, and an awesome product.

If I stayed PRS I'd go 59/09.

Another vote for SD. You pick. Good price with plenty of info and tools on their site to find what's right for you.

+1 on Wolfe - great customer service and great pickups.

+1 on Wolfe - great customer service and great pickups.
Really wanna try some wolfies. Ive heard nothing but great things.

Look at some Suhr offerings too. Good pickups and fairly priced. I bought a DSV and an Aldrich recently. Like em alot.

Anyone gone with Lollars? I am thinking Imperials. Thoughts? My mainstay is blues...

I have a set of lollar tele pups and they rock. I don't have a single complaint and the build quality is top notch. I wouldnt hesitate to pick up another set.

OK, slight change of plans.. heard a set of Seymore Duncan’s Pearly Gates and pulled the trigger. Gonna be here today. Surgery tonight…..:cool:
The Lollars, Imperials, just too much dough for this project.

Got the Pearly Gates in, not able to split , but sounds amazing. Anyone have any tips on where I mis -wired? Or anyone familiar with the REAL color coding for the S2?

Dont have an S2, yet, but I've been on a Bareknuckle kick lately so that would be my choice. Specifically the Abraxas model. I've about fallen in love with those. That set has everything you want for singing, bluesy tones. The Bridge is like an overwound PAF, without being too crusty. The neck feels like P90-ish territory, with more bite of course, but I'm impressed at the clarity. Another current favorite is the PRS Dragon 2. I am really enjoying those too, the bridge position sounds fantastic.

Agreed. I have the Abraxas set in my Bernie and they are awesome. I've read that the bridge has less top end than a PAF/Mule type pickup which means I can wind the treble on the amp up a bit and get incredible clarity from the neck pickup. I have Rebel Yells in my S2 Singlecut which are also really good but a different flavour to the Abraxas.

Back