S2 Standard 24 Wiring Mods

Paul Parise

I have an S2 Standard 24 that has been upgraded with 85/15 USA pickups and a 2002 NOS bridge from Mann Made. I got some good deals which made those viable versus upgrading the entire guitar.

Looking to make this a guitar that if I can only take one to a gig and need a variety of sounds, this is it.

So the S2 Standard 24 pretty much has McCarty switching which is great, you can get a somewhat stratty neck pickup sound a tele ish bridge sound with the coil tap.

What’s the best approximation of a strat position 2 or 4 sound and what would be the least intrusive way to incorporate on the guitar? Keeping in mind I want to keep the six sounds I currently have as well.

I’m thinking it’s going to be some variation of only one coil of both pickups together either split or in parallel.

Options I’d consider: another push pull on the volume, a 5 way selector or a mini toggle (least preferred option).

Thanks!

Yay wiring mods!

Simple option: If you add a push/pull on the volume, you can set that switch to select between either inside or outside coils when you pull the other switch to split the coils. The two inside coils together in parallel is the most Strat-quackinest tone you'll get.

Slightly more involved: If you use a five way super switch you can still split the coils with your push/pull, but also wire up positions 2 and 4 on the super switch to auto split to whatever coil combo you want.

Yay wiring mods!

Simple option: If you add a push/pull on the volume, you can set that switch to select between either inside or outside coils when you pull the other switch to split the coils. The two inside coils together in parallel is the most Strat-quackinest tone you'll get.

Slightly more involved: If you use a five way super switch you can still split the coils with your push/pull, but also wire up positions 2 and 4 on the super switch to auto split to whatever coil combo you want.

Hi Garrett, do you mind sharing the diagram for the "Slightly more involved" suggestion? i cant seem to find any diagrams showing how to engage the inner slugs. Thanks!

Back