S2 Standard 24 Trem Question

GuitarKidd

First, loving my new S2 Standard 24.
However, I am having some slight tuning concerns with the Trem. I have replaced the strings with 9's, and adjusted the trem screws so that the bridge is floating 1/16th above the body and is parallel with the body per the tech specs. I strung up the strings per tech specs as well.

However, the tuning is not coming back as I would have hoped. The strings are almost two days old and well stretched. I can tune the guitar, play for a few minutes, have some slight trem action, no EVH or Vai type stuff, just basic trem use and dang it, the tuning's out. And what is weird is that it will be sharp! And sometimes flat.

I did read where PRS recommends some "machine" oil. That is a pretty broad term, what brand, weight, viscosity is recommended.

Also, is there anything else that can be recommended to help the guitar stay in tune?

It could be binding at the nut, I also use big bend's on all my guitars. In the nut slots and on the saddle contacts.

Thanks guys, I didn't even think about nut sauce. I'm not hearing any binding noises coming from the nut, but that doesn't mean the strings aren't.

They almost always are when it comes to tuning problems on a PRS, at least in my experience. A lubricant usually helps, as mentioned above, Big Bends, etc.

The strings go sharp because when the nut is binding, you build up higher tension behind the nut if you tune up to pitch, then when you use the trem and loosen up the rest of the string, that tension pulls your string a little further back toward the tuner, and bam, sharp. It's not an issue I've ever really gotten 100% rid of, but proper trem setup, nut lube help a lot. I went to a Tusq nut one one guitar and that helped a lot too. Unfortunately, I think the PRS design of having a very deep slotted nut gives the string a lot of surface area to get stuck on the sides, whereas the Tusq has more of a bowl shaped groove that isn't deep enough to bind a string on the sides. I postulate that the PRS slotting increases string energy transfer to the guitar, and that's why they do it... but it does make trem use challenging, the only thing I would knock them on for design. Supposedly they can be perfect, but I haven't gotten them that way yet.

Got the nut sauce on order from Amazon. Once applied I'll report back. Question on the pickups if I may. I understand that the pickguard is loaded from S.Korea and the pickups built to PRS's specs. How do the picks compare to the actual U.S. built pickups.

Also, if I wanted to try a different pickguard, maybe a different color, is there an aftermarket manufacturer out there?

I have also searched the forum for cases for this guitar. What is recommended for this guitar in the aftermarket market?

Last edited:
I tried machine oil and Vaseline.... and honestly, what worked best was just using the trem for awhile. After a week or two it started to settle in and returned to pitch better.

The other thing that helped is that I stopped checking the tune right after using the bar. Play song, use bar, keep playing song. Check tune at end.

I tried machine oil and Vaseline.... and honestly, what worked best was just using the trem for awhile. After a week or two it started to settle in and returned to pitch better.

The other thing that helped is that I stopped checking the tune right after using the bar. Play song, use bar, keep playing song. Check tune at end.
Got my sauce yesterday in the mail and applied it. I think your point is spot on, that the trem needs time to get used and get "worked in". So I am just going to play the hell out of my new guitar!

I just bought a used P24. Love the playability and tone. But, same problem with the term. I widened the nut slots a tiny touch and polished then with fret polishing cloth. Also used Nut Sauce. After using the bar to lower the pitch, all strings are sharp. I may have a new properly cut Tusq nut installed. Vintage terms do stay in tune. Look at Jeff Beck. He uses his all the time and he's always in tune.

Back