S2 Standard 24 Satin pickups in 2018?

The Steady

First post, second PRS.

I bought a second-hand 2018 S2 Standard 24 Satin and am encountering some conflicting information on which pickup set it has. The pickups are stock but the previous owner thinks they are the 85/15s set. I see information online that indicate they are the 58/15s set, but occasionally places have them listed as the 85/15s as well.

Is it a matter of a change from one set to the other recently or maybe confusion since the numbers are so similar? I haven't had the guard off yet but could look the next time I change strings, I presume they would have markings to indicate for sure which set they are. FWIW the set in my guitar is uncovered, if that is diagnostic at all.

Namaste

Last edited:
If they’re covered, they’re likely the 58/15. If they’re uncovered, then the 85/15. If you want to be sure, pull one at your next string change, there should be a label underneath.
Thank you for the reply. These are uncovered so I will guess it's the 85/15 S set until I pop the guard and take a look.

They are certainly different tonally to the covered #7 S set that was in my other PRS, an S2 Singlecut Standard from 2016.

I'm tempted to start another thread to ask, but can anyone comment on whether the 85/15 S neck pickup is brighter or darker than a traditional PAF-style pickup?

I have 2 S2 Standards, same color, black, one Satin, one Glossy Poly……. The Satin is way brighter than the gloss. I have found on both, they sound MUCH better when lowered when you get some “air” between them. Awesome!
https://imgur.com/a/IlLpLuP

Thank you for the reply. These are uncovered so I will guess it's the 85/15 S set until I pop the guard and take a look.

They are certainly different tonally to the covered #7 S set that was in my other PRS, an S2 Singlecut Standard from 2016.

I'm tempted to start another thread to ask, but can anyone comment on whether the 85/15 S neck pickup is brighter or darker than a traditional PAF-style pickup?

I've had the #7 pickups in a couple of S2's as well. They're kind of polarizing for me, I like them immensely in some places and less in others. Ended up loving the bridge #7 in my S2 CU22 Semi Hollow, and the neck #7 in my Satin 22. Kind of an odd balance between them, the bridge pickup especially having a lot of upper mid honk, and the neck being more balanced. Both good pickups, but to me one or the other just didn't match a certain guitar. Still have the ones I liked in the respective guitars, though.

I would expect the 85/15 to be brighter than a traditional PAF style.

I have 2 S2 Standards, same color, black, one Satin, one Glossy Poly……. The Satin is way brighter than the gloss. I have found on both, they sound MUCH better when lowered when you get some “air” between them. Awesome!
https://imgur.com/a/IlLpLuP

Agree on the satins being brighter!

Back