S2 Standard 22 Info Request

skeeterbuck

As the new owner of a S2 Standard 22, I'm looking for some info on the parts of the guitar. I know it's made in the USA and that was one of my main reasons for my purchase. I also know that the pickups and vibrato unit are import items. (Korean?)

Are the wiring (pots, switch etc.) and tuners also imported items?

Also to others with this model that have been modded, what parts have you upgraded, what replacement parts did you use, and were you pleased with the results?

I came to PRS from the F* & G* world where the first thing you do after getting a guitar is modify it to make it better — build it to a higher standard.

Thankfully, PRS builds to a higher standard and more consideration is given to the guitar before it leaves the design board and the factory. While other companies keep trying to repeat what they made over 60 years ago, PRS is continually improving their guitars. It’s a whole different approach really.

Last edited:
There are things one can do for your recently purchased guitar that may improve the tone quality, without modifying any parts.

1) Consider performing a DIY intonation. The PRS website has step-by-step instructions located in their Support pages. An intonation may help a new owner make minor string gauge changes and improve the action by modifying the neck bow profile with a truss rod adjustment. Also, any bridge adjustments can be made once the truss rod has been adjusted. Lastly, pickup height adjustments will dramatically change the tone your guitar produces. This last step is the most important if perhaps you may not favor the pickup tone when you receive it.

2) Any minor cosmetic parts upgrades which will make the guitar look more appealing is like giving it a makeover. While this will not improve the tone, it will make your guitar look better, if not sound better. Many have upgraded their guitars with a variety of knobs, tuner heads, truss rod covers, bridges, tremolos, or pick guards, if this is allowed.

3) Consider holding off on making any electronic modifications until you've tried step 1). Many times, swapping out parts adds up cash-wise, whereas DIY intonations are almost no-cost options, save for the possible tools you may need to perform the intonation. Most maintenance tools required for intonations are not expensive and require only a small outlay of cash.

4) IIRC (If I recall correctly), S2 guitars have some imported parts (electronics, tuners, bridges) but are assembled and inspected in the USA before they're offered on the retail market. The more recent offerings of S2 guitars have TCI pickups which are tuned specifically for each guitar. The older model S2s pickups/electronics are still imported, but the overall build quality is far superior to comparably priced guitars.

Last edited:
First, it's important to understand that probably every PRS ever made has imported parts. It's just a matter of what and from where. This also goes for any other guitar made in recent times.

The S2 hardware and electronics generally come from South Korea. Quality is great on all of it, except maybe the volume pots. If you use the volume pot a lot, you might benefit from getting a Core PRS pot.

Pickups I think always come down to personal preference. There's nothing wrong with the G&B pickups that come in the S2, but you may find yourself wanting to swap them if they aren't to your taste.

I expected to not like the trem on my S2, but dang if it isn't a great unit. It's going to sound a little different from the PRS or MannMade USA bridges because it has a steel block and saddles (vs. brass), but at least on my guitar it works just as well.

OP I have 2 S2 Standard 22s and I play them both stock and love them, as mentioned I had to replace the volume on one of them and the other is due the volume pots get scratchy quickly and the only other thing I have thought about replacing was the bridge pup on one of them but I feel that way about every guitar I have ever owned as pup likes and dislikes are subjective no matter the price of the guitar, tuners are great and bridge is perfectly fine for me...

I replaced the trem on mine with a Mann NOS2000, and the bridge pickup with a covered 59/09. My guitar was a little too nasally and bright when it was stock, I did both mods at once so I’m not exactly sure how dramatic each was individually. Now it sounds like a super ballsy SG, but it’s probably a combination of the mods and some time for the wood to mellow.

Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses so far.
Having now owned the guitar for just over a week, I had some minor issues with the guitar staying in tune. I had adjusted the floating bridge as indicated in the videos from PRS to be parallel with the strings, and yes I was sure to stretch the strings. The previous owner had decked the unit and tightened the springs as far as they would go. I also obviously had to adjust the intonation which went fine. I solved the tuning issues by slightly lubing the nut and the tuning stability issues seemed to have gone away. I have adjusted the pickups to where they sound OK but I still no over excited with the pickups overall, but mainly the neck unit. It may have something to do with the wiring because even with the tone pot all the way up, the neck pickup seems a little dull. I know that the wiring has been tampered with because the switch is a 5 way with positions 2-3-4 all being both pickups on with no change in the sound between each position. I'm guessing they didn't have the correct 3 position switch so just used a 5 position switch and wired like the 3 way one.

For now the bridge and tuners are performing just fine. If I do decide to do a pickup swap, I most likely upgrade the electronics at the same time.

I love my PRS S2 Standard 22! It's my forever guitar!

Body is US made alongside the Core models. But, everything else on it are imports. The pots snd switch seems to be of good quality. The guitar is great as-is!

Here's my demo, but correction on the pickups as they're not 85/15 S as I initially thought

However, mine turned to the dark side and transformed into a brutal - Darth Paul...

Nothing wrong with the stock form, but it needed to be unleashed!

It now has the following:
DiMarzio D-Activator X bridge and neck
Schaller Megaswitch "T"
Emerson Pro CTS 1meg volume pot
C&K USA DPDT Mini Toggle Switches
Geesatis Open Black Humbucker Covers
CTS 250k SPST Split Shaft Push/Pull Pot
Pure Tone Jack (double contact)
PRS/Mann Vibrato Bridge (black nickel bridge with plain nickel saddles)
Custom anodized look pickguard by WD Music Instruments, Inc.
Ebony tuner buttons

Welcome to the board and congratulations on the guitar!

Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses so far.
Having now owned the guitar for just over a week, I had some minor issues with the guitar staying in tune. I had adjusted the floating bridge as indicated in the videos from PRS to be parallel with the strings, and yes I was sure to stretch the strings. The previous owner had decked the unit and tightened the springs as far as they would go. I also obviously had to adjust the intonation which went fine. I solved the tuning issues by slightly lubing the nut and the tuning stability issues seemed to have gone away. I have adjusted the pickups to where they sound OK but I still no over excited with the pickups overall, but mainly the neck unit. It may have something to do with the wiring because even with the tone pot all the way up, the neck pickup seems a little dull. I know that the wiring has been tampered with because the switch is a 5 way with positions 2-3-4 all being both pickups on with no change in the sound between each position. I'm guessing they didn't have the correct 3 position switch so just used a 5 position switch and wired like the 3 way one.

For now the bridge and tuners are performing just fine. If I do decide to do a pickup swap, I most likely upgrade the electronics at the same time.
Based on this, there’s no telling what havoc has been wreaked on the electronics. I say take it to a luthier when you’re ready to change strings. I’m not liking what you’re telling us.

Based on this, there’s no telling what havoc has been wreaked on the electronics. I say take it to a luthier when you’re ready to change strings. I’m not liking what you’re telling us.

I've already checked the electronics against the wiring diagram I found on the PRS site. It is just as I suspected, the original 3 way switch was replaced with a 5 way switch but was wired the same as the 3 way switch. That's the reason the positions 2-3-4 are all the same with both pickups activated. All the other wiring is correct and looks to be factory original.

Back