S2 squared = Awesome!!

...I am gonna redo the wiring to fit what I want:
bridge
bridge+neck
middle
middle + neck
neck

Do you have that on a schematic yet? Is the factory guitar switch built different than a Fender Strat-type?
One I know you can do on a regular Strat 5-way is swap the middle and neck pickups at the switch lugs for essentially a 3-way with two more middle options.

.Bridge
.B+N
.Neck
N+M
Middle

Or swap the bridge and middle for

Middle
B+M
.Bridge
.B+N
.Neck

Otherwise I think you may be into one of the big '5-way super switch' setups.

2 great guitars : Studio and Vela.
I recently bought a Studio and really appreciate its personality.
I would also be interested by a S2 singlecut custom, may be next year if I can save the money...
The videos provided by @paulogs are very instructive, even if President Jack speaks a little low ;).
The neck building process is very interesting, I thing the neck is a great part of a guitar.
When I opened my Studio to check the wiring I discovered high quality work.... but behind the pickguard it was not as clean as on the videos ;) , they had left plenty of dust, not very cool.
I read somewhere that for building the Studio, PRS temporarily hired employees, just for this task, is it true ?

Congrats! I've been a Vela fanboi since early on... still say it's the most unique PRS model ever.
I recently acquired an S2 standard 22 that I'm really diggin' on... Like you, I actually prefer playing the S2 models over my core guitars.

Thanks. I work REALLY hard on the pictures. That photo session took 4 hours. I rearranged the room and lighting multiple times. I took 77 pictures total, but those are the best of the lot.
The effort really shows - very much pro grade glamour shots! :)

Congrats! I've been a Vela fanboi since early on... still say it's the most unique PRS model ever.
I recently acquired an S2 standard 22 that I'm really diggin' on... Like you, I actually prefer playing the S2 models over my core guitars.

I have some sweet Core guitars, and they drip with tone - but I find I get more "attitude" from the S2s. It's probably imaginary, but I play with much more gusto on an S2. I dig in harder. With my Core guitars I tend to play with more finesse. Usually when I doing sessions, I'll use an S2 for rhythm and a Core for lead and melodic parts.

Nice one Mark.

Hope they add some great tones to your already fine collection!

Yeah, totally. The funny thing is that I am finding I am acquiring more PRS' with single coils. As I am getting older, I am digging single coil tones more. It's why I HAD to get another Paul's Guitar. While I have the Brent Mason, the Paul's is just different enough to justify having it. I still LOVE my 57/08 loaded axes, but as the gain reduces with age, I am finding singles to be more colorful and responsive.

I love my S2.
GREAT value....I really might want to get one of those two....they are the ones i've eyed for awhile....vela and the studio.

I have always loved the vela, but that studio might be the one to go for....not quite sure...

I get what you are saying about "value", but the S2 series is really more than just value. I am blessed enough to have the S2's in rotation with Limited Edition, Wood Library, and Artist Package guitar. The S2 really does bring a real rock-n-roll vibe to the PRS line - especially the Standard. The all mahogany construction with the pickguards really make them stand apart from the rest of the line visually and tonally.

Back