S2 squared = Awesome!!

markd21

While I greatly enjoy every aspect of my Core guitars, it's the S2 Series that really sends me over the moon. Recently I decided that I MUST have an S2 Studio. While I shan't lie, and pretend all is suddenly great (I haven't bonded with it yet), it plays great and has amazing potential. I just think I am gonna redo the wiring to fit what I want:

bridge
bridge+neck
middle
middle + neck
neck

The base, however is great. I love the pickups and the new style trem arm. The color is gorgeous. Here are a barrage of pictures so you can see Frost Blue in all its glory....

I really dig the black logo on this guitar!!!

Now, for the SQUARED aspect of my recent S2 acquisitions.....

the VELA!!!!!

I love the Vela. I had one ages ago, but got rid of it because it was too similar to the Gretsch guitars I had. Well, the Gretsches are gone, so the Vela is bringing something to the table. I had a little fun with the cosmetics. I swapped the 'guard for mint green and the knobs for dark brown chicken heads. The brackets you see on there are for the Fishman Triple Play pickup. I enjoy MIDI guitar, and the Vela works great for the Fishman.

And here's a shot with the Fishman installed....

And, now.....the S2's TOGETHER!!!!!

The Studio does seem to excel with the Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R rig. It's a bit more refined than the Cub IVR rig....which pairs SOOOO well with the Vela. The EF86 channel and the Vela makes for the PERFECT Gretsch-y into an AC-15 type tone EVER.....even better than a Gretsch into a Vox, lol. The Hot Cat 30R is able to be set in a million different ways between the three treble controls on the gain channel. It's a unique circuit that works great with the unique pickups in the Studio.

Again, whenever I grab one of my Core models, I am more than happy - but the S2 guitars just KILL. I have four now - the Singlecut Standard, Standard 22, Studio, and the Vela. I am considering a Mira SH and possibly a Starla to finish out my S2 collection. We'll see, though.....

Im with you Mark, the S2 Standards tickle my fancy in a big way, 2 Standard 22s, one satin and a Mira and I love them more than my Core, I also find myself looking for them online used but I don't need another....

I love my S2.
GREAT value....I really might want to get one of those two....they are the ones i've eyed for awhile....vela and the studio.

I have always loved the vela, but that studio might be the one to go for....not quite sure...

Killer! Conrats X2...Love both of them! I am still eyeballing the S2 SInglecuts. Had they been readily available a week ago... I would have snagged one before I pulled the trigger on the SS. I really dig all the S2 Stuff! The entire line sounds like a great value! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back