S2 singlecut vs Mccarty 594

EPICA

Hi guys! Long time lurker posting for the first time lol
I am trying to decide weather the S2 or the Mccarty is right for me. Here is the background, I play as a hobby only, and I usually have around 1 to 2 hours every week to jam by myself. I don’t gig or play in band at all. So Here is the dilemma, As many of us have experienced, I always wanted a nice custom shop whatever brand guitar growing up but I was unable to afford etc. Now that I am able to afford it I am not even sure if a guitar that caliber would be right for me. I just moved in with my GF and I have a lot of life events coming up or planned so the guitar would only be used a couple hours per week. So My original plan was to get the 594 but the new s2 singlecut blue smoke finished really took my breath away and it made me wonder if it would be better to get an s2 taking into consideration my current situation and the fact that playing guitar is only a hobby and not really my career

I am only going to reiterate what others have said - buy the one that feels the best, the one that makes whatever time you have to spend on the guitar the minutes, hours etc the best minutes/hours you can possibly have on the instrument. If that means spending more to purchase a McCarty 594 then so be it. It could be the last instrument you buy for one reason or another so why not make it the 'best' instrument you can buy for yourself.

If the best happens to be the cheaper S2, great! Maybe you can save or spend the money elsewhere but at least you know its the best for you.
If the best happens to be the McCarty 594, great! Ok so it cost more but you have an instrument that makes those few hours a week the 'best' they can be.

I really don't think you should 'compromise', just because you only get a few hours a week to Jam. If you have the budget to look at more expensive models and the McCarty 594 is your 'dream' instrument, buy that! The hours you get could be very important to you so make sure you have the best instrument for you to enjoy those hours. Whether you only get 60mins a week, 6hrs a week or 60hrs a week, you should still buy the 'best' instrument for you that you can afford to buy. It doesn't matter if one is significantly more expensive and you only get to play a few hours, if that is the best guitar for you, then buy that guitar to make those 2hrs the best they can be - you don't get many opportunities to buy a 'dream' guitar or to enjoy yourself over the course of a week - so make those few hours special by buying the 'best' guitar for you that you can afford - regardless of whether the best is also the most expensive or not - its your time so don't compromise if you don't have to. You don't want to spend your life wishing you had made a different choice!!!

As such, I can't tell you which one to buy, that's really up to you to decide which is the better for you. You may not get an opportunity again so make it the right choice for you. If you really want the McCarty in you heart but you head is saying look for something cheaper, I really can't help you. I would say 'listen to your heart', but then I don't have to put up with any of the consequences of that decision - if there ever are any!!

Listen to @Mozzi. This guy gave me valuable feedback when I myself was torn between two guitars and I’m glad I heeded his advice. Never once told me which guitar to pick, but helped me to ask the right questions.

On this, I agree entirely with him. If your dream guitar is a 594, don’t settle for anything less. It doesn’t matter how much you’ll play. I’m guessing you can afford either. If so your next question should be which one will make you want to play more? It’s irrelevant if it’s features or looks that makes you wanna play more, so don’t discard it if the answer is looks.

I am only going to reiterate what others have said - buy the one that feels the best, the one that makes whatever time you have to spend on the guitar the minutes, hours etc the best minutes/hours you can possibly have on the instrument. If that means spending more to purchase a McCarty 594 then so be it. It could be the last instrument you buy for one reason or another so why not make it the 'best' instrument you can buy for yourself.

If the best happens to be the cheaper S2, great! Maybe you can save or spend the money elsewhere but at least you know its the best for you.
If the best happens to be the McCarty 594, great! Ok so it cost more but you have an instrument that makes those few hours a week the 'best' they can be.

I really don't think you should 'compromise', just because you only get a few hours a week to Jam. If you have the budget to look at more expensive models and the McCarty 594 is your 'dream' instrument, buy that! The hours you get could be very important to you so make sure you have the best instrument for you to enjoy those hours. Whether you only get 60mins a week, 6hrs a week or 60hrs a week, you should still buy the 'best' instrument for you that you can afford to buy. It doesn't matter if one is significantly more expensive and you only get to play a few hours, if that is the best guitar for you, then buy that guitar to make those 2hrs the best they can be - you don't get many opportunities to buy a 'dream' guitar or to enjoy yourself over the course of a week - so make those few hours special by buying the 'best' guitar for you that you can afford - regardless of whether the best is also the most expensive or not - its your time so don't compromise if you don't have to. You don't want to spend your life wishing you had made a different choice!!!

As such, I can't tell you which one to buy, that's really up to you to decide which is the better for you. You may not get an opportunity again so make it the right choice for you. If you really want the McCarty in you heart but you head is saying look for something cheaper, I really can't help you. I would say 'listen to your heart', but then I don't have to put up with any of the consequences of that decision - if there ever are any!!

Spot on, Mozzi!

Yeah you are right, I should buy whatever is hoing to make me the happiest when I play, I will have to listen to more soundclips on the pickups and wait for the s2 to be released but that will give me some time

@EPICA is there anywhere you can get your mitts on both? Even if they might not be the colour you'd pick, at least you'd know what to order.
My local guitar store has the Mccarty but I have not seen the S2 anywhere else. Also I currently have an SE 245 which is pretty much what made me love PRS and the design, I know the scales lenght/pickups/neck patterns are different from the SE but as long as they are thick I don’t really care about the neck profile

There’s no right or wrong answer, the decision about what instrument works for you can’t be rationalized. A guitar either speaks to you, or it doesn’t.

So get the one that speaks to you. Life is short, do what makes you happy.

Wise counsel above. The only thing I would add is, if you second guess yourself because of money, (especially if you have the money for either), you will likely regret it. Buy the one you want, not the one you think you deserve.

My local guitar store has the Mccarty but I have not seen the S2 anywhere else. Also I currently have an SE 245 which is pretty much what made me love PRS and the design, I know the scales lenght/pickups/neck patterns are different from the SE but as long as they are thick I don’t really care about the neck profile

The thickest Neck is the McCarty 594 with the Pattern Vintage. Its not too thick and the Asymmetric carve makes it feel more 'worn in' - as if its been played for decades and 'worn' in the asymmetry. I don't know what PU's the S2 has - I wouldn't be surprised if its not that different from your SE245. The McCarty 594 will also have a closer scale length to the 245 as well - its 24.594" (hence the name) compared to the 24.5" you already have or the 25" of the S2. The 594 is fully US built - that includes the Pick-Ups that will be made in the US factory where as the S2 will be assembled in the US with imported PU's - whether that matters to you or not. With the 594, you do get the 'core' type carve for the top and the recessed back plates - as well as a bound neck. You also get the two piece bridge and Phase 3 Locking tuners. Which ever one you pick, I do believe you get the same functionality of independently splitting the Humbuckers via a push/pull tone pot, as well as individual tone/volume for each Pick-up.

If there is a 594 near to you, I would suggest just going in and playing it. Get a feel for what a 594 offers both in terms of playability and in its tones. I don't really think you can listen to a sound clip and really understand what they will sound like in your hands. You don't know what processing or gear was used to produce that sound. You certainly wont 'feel' that sound unless you are playing it either. The 594 is like having a vintage 58 Les Paul but with the build quality and modern features of a PRS. If you do go and try it, you will know whether or not you need to try and find an S2 because if that 594 doesn't make you want to buy it there and then, the chances are that no 594 will make you want to buy it. If its not the colour you want, then buy one online because they are so very consistent. If you don't want to buy a 594 when you try it, then its not worth considering - you will be better off looking at the S2 or some other guitar.

Honestly, if you try the 594 in your local shop and it doesn't make you want to buy it (or at least one in a different colour if that's the ONLY issue), then it really isn't worth shopping around for a 'different' 594 to see if its got some magic 'mojo' that may make you reconsider. You really will be better off looking else where. As far as neck feel and scale length for an S2 Single Cut, you may get a rough idea by trying a Core Custom 22 (if your local has one) as these are 25" scale and with the Pattern Regular neck that a S2 Single Cut will give you. Either way, you can at least get an idea of how it may compare/differ to a 594 to give you a better idea of which guitar may suit you best. However, if that 594 doesn't make you want to buy it (or one in a different colour) there and then, then at least you will know you can scratch that off your list...

Back