S2 Singlecut Pot Sizes

Idlefrog

I decided to change the pickups on my S2 Singlecut to some Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays and whilst I was at it thought I would replace the pots with CTS ones.

I bought 4 CTS 500K imperial sized pots to replace the existing ones, I soldered them with all the grounds and the capacitors outside the guitar but when I went to fit them I had an annoying surprise. The holes for the volume pots were fine but the tone pots would not fit as the holes were 8mm and too small. The old tone pots were metric coil splittable pots.

I was surprised that there would be a mix of imperial and metric pots. I suppose I could drill the two holes out to fit the new pots but living in the UK I don't have any imperial sized drill bits so I ended up ordering a couple of CTS metric pots.

I thought I would post this as a heads up to anyone else thinking of doing similar.

I decided to change the pickups on my S2 Singlecut to some Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays and whilst I was at it thought I would replace the pots with CTS ones.

I bought 4 CTS 500K imperial sized pots to replace the existing ones, I soldered them with all the grounds and the capacitors outside the guitar but when I went to fit them I had an annoying surprise. The holes for the volume pots were fine but the tone pots would not fit as the holes were 8mm and too small. The old tone pots were metric coil splittable pots.

I was surprised that there would be a mix of imperial and metric pots. I suppose I could drill the two holes out to fit the new pots but living in the UK I don't have any imperial sized drill bits so I ended up ordering a couple of CTS metric pots.

I thought I would post this as a heads up to anyone else thinking of doing similar.

This is very common. Just about all push/pull pots have metric shafts. The CTS full size are the only exception I know of.

It's easy to open up the holes. A drill is overkill, actually. You can use a tapered reamer, or I've used sand paper wrapped around a pen. It doesn't take much and doesn't have to be perfectly round.

Back