S2 Singlecut Pickguard on Non-Pickguard Model?

Masta' C

Curious if anyone knows for sure...

Will the large, swoopy pickguard from the S2 Singlecut Standard fit on a non-pickguard version of the S2 Singlecut?

I'm aware that holes would have to be drilled on the guitar for the pickguard mounting screws, but I assume the pickup rout locations and holes for the controls should be the same?

S2_Singlecut_Standard_Pickguard__Black_White_Black__101745--001_800x.jpg

Mostly likely, but that's just an educated guess on the manufacturing line.

You could always get one and flip it if it didn't work out, they are relatively inexpensive for PRS. I guess you are going for the aesthetic.

I think you could rig up some retention without doing permanent damage to the wood, by using the pickup mount screws and using washers on the pots, supplemented by something like double sided tape around the perimeter
I would avoid having to have to drill the wood as the resale value would take a hit, unless it's a keeper.
Hopefully the existing pots are long enough for the pickguard thickness too.

Sometimes my pickguard gets pushed out by the wiring, it needs to be tucked under and I have it tie wrapped, but I am mentioning as without the screws you would need to 'secure the perimeter'. I think tape would not harm gloss finish on the maple top models. The nitro of the satin ones is more like a varnish and wears over time.

No, it won't work! They are two different body designs (routes). The pickguard model, mounts everything from the front on the pickguard. The non-pickguard models mount every thing in the body, with access through back plates. The entire body would have to be re-routed.

Last edited:
I would imagine that all the parts might indeed line-up, but you could encounter problems trying to mount the volume & tone pots through both the top wood's thickness PLUS the pickguard's thickness. (And if this one had the pickup switch mounted somewhere in there, it'd definitely be a no-go.) If it doesn't work with the stock pots and you still really want it to work, there are long-shaft pots on the market that could probably make it happen.

I agree with October3 and Going Modal . So long as there is enough length in the shafts of the potentiometers, it will likely work. Use the pickup rings to mark hole locations on the pick guard and use those screws and the potentiometers to secure the pick guard to the guitar and you won’t have to alter the guitar. If you don’t like the look of empty screw holes around the perimeter of the guard, you can probably get one of the aftermarket suppliers to make one without the normal holes and have them add the holes where the pickup rings go. Step one, see how much height adjustment you have on the potentiometers.

I appreciate that. I had a Singlecut S2 and liked it, but would've been happier with the pickguard to add some flair. Thinking of getting another to try this on!

It's definitely an aesthetic thing and I wouldn't be too worried about resale value.

@chicagoslim - I know that the controls are rear-mounted on the non-pickguard model. That doesn't mean that the holes won't line up and that you can't use the pickguard to mount the pickups in place of the standard rings. The switch is mounted far away from the guard area, so the pot length and hole locations appear to be the biggest variables here

Back