S2 Singlecut - maple top ?

Barquentine

Some months back I asked what the difference was between the S2 Singlecut (no scratchplate) and the S2 Singlecut Standard (scratchplate). Someone replied that the Singlecut had a maple cap whereas the Standard was all mahogany. My S2 Singlecut has the solid blue metallic finish so it's not possible to see whether there is a cap or not. On the PRS site it shows both guitars as being all mahogany.

Have the specs changed ? Does anyone know ?

There were some S2's with maple tops and opaque finishes, for a short time, IIRC. If it doesn't have a scratchplate, I would say it probably has a maple top. There were a very few standard/all mahogany guitars without pickguards that Dave's Guitar had, but that's the only place I've ever seen an S2 standard with no pickguard.

S2 Singlecuts without scratch plate (e.g. the non-“standard” Singlecuts) have maple caps.

S2 Singlecuts without scratch plate (e.g. the non-“standard” Singlecuts) have maple caps.
That is generally true, but according to PRS's product page, S2 SCs without scratchplate don't come in metallic blue.

So once you add in the special run finish, all bets are off.

This one at Moore Music has a conflicting description, for example:

https://www.mooremusicguitars.com/prs-s2-singlecut-dark-blue-metallic-6547/

Its all-mahogany body and asymmetrical, beveled top give the S2 Singlecut much of its explosive tone.

BODY:

Top Wood: Maple

Back Wood: Mahogany

Best bet would be to email PRS Customer Service with your Serial Number - they will give you the low down.

That description is copied from the PRS site. On the non-standard S2s without scratchplate, the control cavity is routed all the way through the mahogany, and all the electronics are attached directly to the underside of the maple top. I don’t think they would have a different manufacturing process just for the ones with special paint since the S2 series is all about simplifying the manufacturing. But, I agree, the only way to know 100% would be to ask PRS.

I was surprised to see the guitars are routed this way when I opened up my S2 but that’s how it was - I guess routing all the way through the mahogany saves some labor vs the more traditional method of routing only part way into the mahogany.

Last edited:
Back