S2 Semihollow pickup change

ppaul129

Hey all,
I am sure this has been addressed somewhere else, but I searched and couldn't find anything that helped.

I have a new S2 Semihollow with #7's in it. I got 2 Seymour Duncans to put in, but I have a few questions. I got a schematic from PRS, but iI'm not sure how to match the wire from the #7s to the SDs (Red, white, green, black and ground). I've done a lot of strat pickup work in the past, but haven't really worried about humbuckers, coil splitting, etc. - until now.

The neck SD just came in the mail, and it has a 3" wire...grrrr. I should be ok just cutting the PRS wire close (around 3") to the PRS pickup for now, so I don't have to mess around with the guitar electronics? I think this would make things easier.

http://limetreestudios.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/WIRING-DIAGRAM-S2-22-24-STARLA-MIRA.pdf

If I cut the wire close to the pickup, does anyone know how to match the wire colors?:)

Last edited:
I would just disconnect the 7's at the solder joints and keep the leads as long as you can. Get some wire and add to the leads on the SD before you start putting it in the guitar, that will be much easier than trying to splice things in the control cavity.

I had planned to cut the existing leads short only on the neck pickup (forgot to say that part), since it's only 3" long and I can deal with adding wire to the #7 if I ever decide to sell it.

It's more knowing how to match up the colors from the SD to the existing leads.

Try searching PRS pickup color code. A pdf file should show up in the search. This document will list all of the different types of pickups and what colors correspond with hot, ground, split coils etc. Hope this helps.

Sorry for another reply...

So if I have this right, which I am starting to doubt. I made a diagram of what I know of the color codes from PRS and SD.

PRS White > SD Red
PRS Black > SD White
PRS Red > SD Green and Black tied together???

Is this right? Really looking forward to putting these in, but do not want to have to guess at it.

prs-duncan.png

Back