S2 Semi-Hollow - Does this seem right?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by YesNoMaybe, Oct 22, 2015.

1. YesNoMaybe

YesNoMaybe New Member

I just got an S2 cherry burst semi-hollow (my first PRS) and, while it plays really well (after tiny adjustments), I notice when looking up close that it isn't quite as 'glassy' as what I think of when I think of a well-finished guitar. I would almost describe it as orange-peel in the finish. Is this common with *any* prs's or is it just this one (or do some models have different finish issues like this?) - or maybe it was caused by storage in a hot warehouse?
    This is what I'm talking about:

http://imgur.com/a/pbKBT

I'm in touch with the vendor that sold it to me to see what they say. Just looking for some opinions. Usually I wouldn't really care but I spent extra over the SE on the US-made because the quality is supposed to be better and I just want to make sure I'm getting what I paid for.

So, what would you do? Is this a normal finish?

http://i.imgur.com/LhdkiuA.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/rAB7L2m.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/VRPHQvy.jpg

#1 YesNoMaybe, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  2. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

The link doesn't seem to work.

3. YesNoMaybe

YesNoMaybe New Member

Weird. I opened this thread from a different browser where I'm not logged into here or there and it seemed to work. I'll try something else, thanks.

Edit: I added direct image links to imgur. Hopefully those will work. If not, here's one (they're too big to do all three):

[​IMG]

#3 YesNoMaybe, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  4. wardog

wardog What the gravy and cheese!!!!

I only see glare from light. Hard to see what you are referring too.

5. YesNoMaybe

YesNoMaybe New Member

That's the reflection of the light. It looks like glare because the reflection is showing what I am referring to - the orange peel dimples. Sorry - wish I was a better photographer. I'll see if maybe I can get some in better light.

You can't see the dimples with just ambient light. It has to be a direct light source, which is difficult to get across in pics.

6. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

I do see the orange peel in the reflection. Looks like it might be where the stain "sinks" into the maple. some people really like the affect. If you're not one of those people, you can take it back and get another one or have it refinished.

7. Therinx

Therinx DDDDDD

I don't think i've ever examined a finish quite that closely.

8. gball

gball New Member

Just looks like the finish sinking a bit into the maple. Seems pretty normal to me.

9. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

Look at the reflected light glare - the right side, from about 1 o'clock all the way around to 6 o'clock and then up the "notch" towards the center - the edge looks a little like craters on the moon - the dark spots indicate slight imperfections in the finish, commonly called "orange peel" because it resembles the texture of the skin of said fruit.

OP: What you are seeing is not unusual, and may be typical in most finishes. But, I don't know if PRS usually avoids this "imperfection" better than what you are seeing. I honestly don't recall whether any of my PRSi have anything like this in the finish, I don't think I peer at them that carefully. :dontknow:

Please let us know whether your vendor can say with any certainty that what you see is typical or is truly unusual and they are willing to exchange to correct it.

And now I will go home and have a very close look at my guitar finishes...probably not tonight, too busy with band practice, maybe on the weekend...

10. wardog

wardog What the gravy and cheese!!!!

i see it now. I have seen that on many guitars from $$ to $$$$. I agree it is the finish sinking into the grain. I like it actually. and I see it alot on lacquer/nitro guitars. It can really add to the 3d look of a nice top. But, you do have choices like Shinksma stated.

11. xjbebop

xjbebop Yippy ki yay!

This.

It's an S2. It's not going to have the same quality finish as a core model, nor the thicker finish on the SE's. Nothing wrong with what you've got. More importantly, how does it feel. play and sound?

12. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

Agree on the sunken finish. It's fairly common. I've seen it on many guitars(across many brands), including a few of my own. I happen to really like it. It's nothing you need to worry about, but if it bothers you, maybe try to return it and get another. No guarantees that one won't look the same though.

13. YesNoMaybe

YesNoMaybe New Member

Well, the vendor (any forum rules on saying who it is? It's one of the big online ones - zz) has given me the option to return it for full refund, exact replacement, or keep it at a slight refunded discount.

I'm leaning towards the discount now since the general consensus is that it seems to be within acceptable finish standards. It might bother me a little if I go to some shops and don't see it on closer inspection on some other similarly priced models but whatever. It isn't noticeable in normal settings, it sounds great, and I feel like it's going to wear in nicely after some hours of play. It's still a beautiful guitar. I can always try polishing the finish later.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I appreciate it.

14. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

Here's an artist package Cu24 with a lot of the "defect" visible in the bright light portion of the edge and you can even see ripples in the body because of it. The body is smooth as can be but the ripples are still visible. Kinda cool...
    [​IMG]

15. jrw32

jrw32 New Member

I just checked my 2014 S2 Semi-hollow and finish looks identical. Never would've noticed if you hadn't had posted this/under light. Had to look very closely. Doesn't bother me in the least & appears perfectly normal. Play & enjoy it!

16. markintime

markintime Wood Grain Devotee

Made me look! Started getting worried, concerned, curous? So I checked my S2 Vela and found

Nothing

Like that.

Glossy like a mirror and in a dark bedroom I can see the reflection of this laptop screen and clearly make out the words but I can't really read them being a mirror image and all that. But no orange peel effect. Should I ask for a refund?

I did see something else after taking a micro fiber to clean up finger smudges, and that appeared to be a tiny sparkle here and there, but only up close. And very few and far between. I'd guess that to be some speck of a mineral deposit or something similar. Seems perfectly normal. Maybe that's what gives it that great tone quality? I dunno... I can see this an yet another GAS excuse, heh.

17. CVS

CVS Not so new member

I started looking at some of my guitars in a different light because of this thread and did notice said "imperfection" on few of them. My plan is to do nothing:p. Mostly I noticed a few more small nicks than i was aware of:eek:

18. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

19. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

There's always a trade-off between a thin finish that allows the guitar to resonate, and a thicker finish, and/or one where the wood's pores have been loaded up with lots of fillers of different kinds.

I've had a little sinking-in on some, and not on others. Each piece of wood seems to "take" the finish a little differently. It's probably unavoidable with stained and clear-coated wooden instruments (as opposed to an opaque finish where the wood can be loaded up with fillers before finishing), but honestly, if it bothers you and the vendor will exchange it, try doing that and see what happens.

I think sometimes we all get a little carried away with this idea of what Perfection is all about, however, whether it's sooner or later, some of the finish is going to sink. Then, too, they aren't supposed to spend the man-hours on the S2 instruments that they do on the Core models. However, the S2s I've seen have been damn fine.

20. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

I have the same exact guitar, color and all, and hadn't noticed it before seeing this thread, but it does have some dimpling in the finish similar to what's seen here. I have to look REALLY close and get the light just right to see it, from more than a few inches away the finish looks flawless.

I look at minutiae all day, so if it's hard for me to see, it's hard to see period. So, to the OP, if the orange peel is something you can see from a casual glance at the guitar, I would say exchange it, but if it's something you can only see only when the planets align, I wouldn't think twice about it, and rock on!