S2 SC Std Wiring/Ground Issue?

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Recently had a chance to practice with my S2 SC Std McCarty Tobacco Burst, and discovered that the bridge pickup was cutting out briefly, and both pickups would hum when you lifted your fingers from the guitar, in either humbucker or coil-tap mode.

My other S2 SC Std Antique White has no such issue.

The McCarty Burst had some wiring issues from the retailer, which a local tech corrected with new wiring. However, with the bridge pickup cutting out intermittently, and the pickups not being grounded properly, my feeling is to bring the guitar back to the same tech and ask him to correct the problem (hopefully, he'll stand behind his work).

My intuition tells me it's a loose wiring contact or a grounding wire that was not adequately soldered.

I'd rather not pull the pick guard off the guitar to let you folks have a look because that involves more than my level of expertise.

From my description, does this sound like the correct diagnosis for the intermittent pickup and hum?

Sounds right to me, but doesn’t matter much if you aren’t going to open it up yourself. Let that tech have a look.

Sounds right to me, but doesn’t matter much if you aren’t going to open it up yourself. Let that tech have a look.

That was my feeling as well. No sense in speculating if the tech can diagnose the problem and correct it (hopefully at no charge because the tech had put the wiring in himself not more than 6 weeks ago).

Back